Eligibility and Funding
Less than full-time training is available to doctors who are unable to work full-time because of 'well-founded, individual reasons' (European Council Directive 93/16-/EEC 1993) and the decision lies with the relevant Postgraduate Deanery as to whether a trainee has 'well-founded reasons'.
Eligibility is divided into 2 categories listed below. Those who are applying under Category 1 are given priority for funding and can usually expect this to continue should they move region. Those who are applying under Category 2 may not receive funding and it should be noted that clinical research is not considered a reason to apply for less than full-time training.
- Disability or ill-health
- Responsibility for children
- Caring for ill or disabled partner, relative or other dependent.
- Service to the wider NHS e.g. management courses etc.
- Opportunities for personal/professional development e.g. training for national sporting events.
- Religious commitment
- Other reasons may be considered, but it will depend on each individual situation and the needs of the trainee's specialty.
Funding for less than full-time training is dependent on each Deanery and individual NHS Boards and applicants should be aware that resources are limited. Contracts must be New Deal and European Working Time Directive Compliant and that the time commitment will be proportional to a specific calculation of actual hours of work and reflect working time patterns.