Faculty of Dental Surgery
About the Faculty of Dental Surgery
The College's Faculty of Dental Surgery promotes excellence in patient care by providing quality-assured assessments and facilitating high standards of education for members of the dental profession.
Established in 1982, it is the largest of the College's faculties with almost 7,000 Fellows and Members worldwide and its own Council.
The Dental Faculty's portfolio consists of a wide range of exams and courses held in 17 countries around the world. These include:
- The Diploma of Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery (MFDS)
- Membership in Advanced General Dental Surgery (MAGDS)
- Specialty Membership Exams in Endodontics, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics (Part A and Part B) and Primary Care Dentistry
- Diplomas in Clinical Dental Technology, Implant Dentistry, Orthodontic Therapy, Paediatric Dentistry for Dental Therapists and Special Care Dentistry
- Tri-Collegiate Specialty Membership Exams in Oral Surgery, Paediatric Dentistry and Special Care Dentistry. The Faculty works with its sister Colleges in London and Glasgow to deliver these
The Dental Faculty also recognises senior members of the dental profession through the awards of Fellowship and Membership without Examination.
The Faculty enjoys extensive links with a network of UK and international organisations and offers a variety of conjoint specialty and non-specialty exams. It links with a growing number of UK universities in providing a Conjoint Masters Degree and Specialty Membership examinations. In the UK, the Faculty links with the other three Royal Surgical Colleges (England, Glasgow and Ireland) for the Intercollegiate Specialty Fellowship Examinations.
Internationally, the Faculty works with the National University of Singapore, the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, the College of Dental Surgeons of Hong Kong, and the American Board of Oral Medicine and was the first Dental Faculty of a UK Royal College to run a dental exam in the USA.
Further information about our dental activities worldwide can be found on our International School of Surgery website. The Faculty's courses are aimed at supporting colleagues in their preparation for College examinations and we also provide events which support continuing professional development for all members of the dental team.
We have also established a network of Dental Ambassadors throughout the British Isles and internationally, encompassing support for the whole dental team.
To contact the Faculty of Dental Surgery, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.