Faculty of Dental Surgery
Dean of the Faculty of Dental Surgery Launches 2020 - 2023 Manifesto
Dean of the Faculty of Dental Surgery, Professor Philip Taylor, has now released his manifesto for the Faculty covering 2020 – 2023. With over 7000 Affiliates, Associates, Members, and Fellows, the Faculty today represents a significant part of the UK’s dental workforce. The Dean’s manifesto covers several key areas of focus for Faculty over the next 3 years including:
- Asking the Government through all of the devolved NHS bodies to change the focus of health and social care policy delivery to the prevention of dental disease.
- Creating an understanding across the health sector as a whole that dentistry is an important component of total body health.
- The Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh will request to be involved in any future policy decision making across the four nations of the UK.
Please read the manifesto document here for more details.
Extension to Examination Window for Dental Specialty Examinations
An extension to the examination window for Dental Specialty Examinations for trainees on specialty dental training programs has now been confirmed. Trainees may now enter for the specialty dental examinations up to 12 months prior to completion of the requisite full-time training (or part time equivalent) for entry. This is provided the trainee has the support of their Training Program Director. Currently entry is permitted at 6 months prior to completion of training, at the time of sitting.
Click here to find out more.
About the Faculty of Dental Surgery
The College's Faculty of Dental Surgery promotes excellence in patient care by providing quality-assured assessments and facilitating high standards of education for members of the dental profession.
Established in 1982, it is the largest of the College's faculties with almost 7,000 Fellows and Members worldwide and its own Council.
The Dental Faculty's portfolio consists of a wide range of exams and courses held in 17 countries around the world. These include:
- The Diploma of Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery (MFDS)
- Membership in Advanced General Dental Surgery (MAGDS)
- Specialty Membership Exams in Endodontics, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics (Part A and Part B) and Primary Care Dentistry
- Diplomas in Clinical Dental Technology, Implant Dentistry, Orthodontic Therapy, Paediatric Dentistry for Dental Therapists and Special Care Dentistry
- Tri-Collegiate Specialty Membership Exams in Oral Surgery, Paediatric Dentistry and Special Care Dentistry. The Faculty works with its sister Colleges in London and Glasgow to deliver these
The Faculty enjoys extensive links with a network of UK and international organisations and offers a variety of conjoint specialty and non-specialty exams. It links with a growing number of UK universities in providing a Conjoint Masters Degree and Specialty Membership examinations. In the UK, the Faculty links with the other three Royal Surgical Colleges (England, Glasgow and Ireland) for the Intercollegiate Specialty Fellowship Examinations.
Internationally, the Faculty works with the National University of Singapore, the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, the College of Dental Surgeons of Hong Kong, and the American Board of Oral Medicine and was the first Dental Faculty of a UK Royal College to run a dental exam in the USA.
Further information about our dental activities worldwide can be found on our International School of Surgery website. The Faculty's courses are aimed at supporting colleagues in their preparation for College examinations and we also provide events which support continuing professional development for all members of the dental team.
We have also established a network of Dental Ambassadors throughout the British Isles and internationally, encompassing support for the whole dental team.
Furthermore, as part of RCSEd's Faculty of Dental Surgery's commitment to supporting professional development and promoting the highest standards of patient care, the Faculty offers a Dental Fellowship without Examination. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.