Younger Fellows Group
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Younger Fellows’ Group was set up in 2015 by Ms Clare McNaught to build a network of younger consultants and senior trainees. A Younger Fellow (YF) is defined as any surgeon who has obtained Fellowship and is within the first 10 years of practice along with trainees with Fellowship in the last year of training. The aim of the group is to facilitate younger surgeons of all disciplines and from all locations in the UK to socialise, get involved in College life and feedback their opinions on professional issues to Council through the YF Committee, as well as provide an outlet to discuss frustrations or share success stories with new friends and like-minded colleagues.
The College has a proud history, educating surgeons and setting standards for the profession for more than 500 years. Life as a consultant has changed dramatically over this time, but perhaps most noticeably over the last decade. Consultants now live in an environment of raised public expectation, increased scrutiny with the individual reporting of surgical outcomes and escalated workload. In recognition of these pressures, the College has committed to assist our younger consultants and has provided an avenue of mentorship and support through the YF Group.
Current Younger Fellows Committee Members are:
Chair of the Group: Nathan Stephens, Consultant Upper GI & General Surgeon, Royal Liverpool University Hospital
Deputy Chair: Sarah Healy,ENT Head and Neck Surgeon, James Cook University Hospital Middlesbrough
- Peter Vaughan-Shaw, Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh
- Emma Stapleton, Consultant Otolaryngologist, Manchester Royal Infirmary and Salford Royal Hospital
- Jothy Kandasamy, Consultant Paediatric and Adult Neurosurgery and Spinal Surgery, Royal Hospital for Sick Children Edinburgh
- Craig Mather (Dental Rep), Senior Clinical Lecturer/Honorary Consultant in Oral Surgery, University of Glasgow
- Haroon Rehman, Consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedics, Victoria Hospital, Kirkaldy
- Jihene ElKafsi, Consultant in UGI & Bariatric Surgery, Wrexham Park Hospital
- Kirsty Mozolowski, Consultant in General/Colorectal Surgery, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh
- Sandra McAllister, Consultant in Plastic Surgery, The Ulster Hospital, Belfast
Younger Fellows Group Events
Younger Fellows' Meeting Edinburgh 9 November 2023
Younger Fellows' Regional Meeting Belfast 23 November 2023
The Younger Fellows’ Committee regularly invites senior trainees (ST 7/8) and Fellows within 10 years of their FRCS to attend informal evenings where you can socialise and network with other surgeons from various specialties. These meetings focus on the increasing pressures facing surgeons in the NHS and discuss strategies to avoid burnout.
There is also practical advice covering issues such as financial and pension planning, as well as the opportunity to meet members of the Younger Fellows’ Committee, who are there to feedback your ideas and opinions on professional matters to the RCSEd Council.
CPD is available for these meetings.
There is also food, beer and wine for an informal evening.
The previous Younger Fellows Group webinar titled 'Life as a Consultant - A Career Through the Years' can be accessed from our archives.
Keep an eye for the next meeting information on this page!
For further information about the Younger Fellows Group and forthcoming meetings, contact email@example.com