We look forward to welcoming you to the Chennai Conference in October 2022. Book your space today for an event full of learnings, new advances and vital networking opportunities involving a range of expert speakers covering all surgical specialties, College Faculties and Dentistry.
By registering for the RCSEd Chennai 2022 Conference, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our RCSEd Event Registration Privacy Statement.
Thursday 6 October 2022
- International Surgical Organisations and COVID: what to expect in the “new normal”?
- Contemporary delivery and future developments of education and assessment activity
- Faculty of Dental Surgery – all day session
- Vascular Surgery - workshops
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – workshop
- Cardiothoracic Surgery – workshop
- Endoscopic Spinal Surgery – workshop
- Endocrine Surgery – Lecture
- Otolaryngology – workshop
- Faculty of Remote and Rural Surgery - workshop
Friday 7 October 2022
Parallel Sessions for Surgical Specialty
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Trauma and Orthopaedic
- Paediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Dental Surgery
Saturday 8 October 2022
Parallel Sessions for College Faculties
- The Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care
- The Faculty of Remote, Rural and Humanitarian Healthcare
- The Faculty of Perioperative Care
- The Faculty of Surgical Trainers
- The Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- The Faculty of Dental Trainers
- The Faculty of Dental Surgery
- What I wish I had known (when I started my consultant practice)
- Closing Plenary Session
Special Guest Speakers
- Professor Michael Griffin, RCSEd President. Topic: International Surgical Organisations and Covid: what to expect in the “new normal”
- Mr Pala Rajesh, RCSEd Vice-president. Topic: Closing plenary session
- Professor Rowan Parks, RCSEd Vice-president. Topic: Contemporary delivery and future developments of education and exam activity
- Dr Judy Evans, Immediate Past Honorary Secretary of the RCSEd. Topic: What I wish I had known when I started (my consultant practice).
- Mr Aidan Fitzgerald, Convener of Education of the RCSEd. Topic: Evolution in surgical teaching, learning and assessment
- Prof Pawanindra Lal, Vice President, International College of Laparoscopic Surgeons. Topic: Tbc.
- Mr Zahid Raza, Convener of Examinations of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: Overcoming Challenges for RCSEd Surgical Examinations during Covid 19
- Prof April Roslani, President for the Malaysian Society of Colorectal Surgeons and Immediate Past-President for the College of Surgeons. Topic: Tbc.
- Dr Tony Sparnon, Past President of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Topic: Tbc.
- Dr Clare McNaught, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Consultant General Surgeon, Co-chair.
- Ms Anna Paisley, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Consultant General and Upper GI Surgeon, Co-chair.
- Professor Pawanindra Lal, Consultant Laparoscopic Gastro-intestinal, Oncology & Bariatric Surgeon, Vice President, International College of Laparoscopic Surgeon. Topics: Conduct of Exit Examinations during the times of COVID 19 and The future of advanced surgical techniques post Covid in India
- Professor April Roslani, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Universiti Malaya, President for the Malaysian Society of Colorectal Surgeons and Immediate Past-President for the College of Surgeons. Topic: Covid-driven innovations
- Professor Neil Smart, Consultant Colorectal Surgeon. Topic: Colorectal Surgery - what have we learnt from Covid?
- Ms Amanda McCabe, Consultant paediatric surgeon, Member of Council of RCSEd. Topic: Training: Fine motor skills lab
- Mr Fraser Munro, Consultant Paediatric Surgeon. Topic: Tracheooesophageal fistula repair
- Mr Venkat Sripathi, Senior Consultant Paediatric Urologist and Robotic Surgeon. Topic: Young Surgeon / Trainee specialty session 10x6 min (5min paper + 2 in questions)
- Professor Warwick Teague, Consultant Paediatric Surgeon and Associate Professor of Paediatric Surgery. Topic: Trauma updates in paediatrics
- Mr Shivaram Bharathwaj, International Surgical Tutor, Madurai. Topic: Training opportunities in Plastic Surgery in the coming decade
- Dr Judy Evans, Consultant plastic Surgeon; former Honorary Secretary of RCSEd. Topic: Training opportunities in Plastic Surgery in the coming decade
- Professor Simon Kay, Consultant Plastic Surgeon. Topic: Composite Tissue Allotransplantation, Panel discussion and Q&A Head and Neck reconstruction, Breast reconstruction, Hand transplantation
- Dr Maniram Ragbir, SAC representative on the SSB in Plastic Surgery. Topic: Panel discussion and Q&A Head and Neck reconstruction, Breast reconstruction, Hand transplantation
- Dr Venkat Ramakrishnan. Topic: Panel discussion and Q&A Head and Neck reconstruction, Breast reconstruction, Hand transplantation
- Ms Claire Edwards, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon. Topic: Trauma and Ortho Chair
- Professor Phil Turner, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Executive member of the British Orthopaedic Association (BOA). Topic: Trauma and Ortho Chair, Orthopaedic assessments
- Professor Gautam Chakrabarty, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon. Topic: Selection of orthopaedic trainees
- Mr Mark Crowther, Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder Surgeon. Topic: Selection of orthopaedic trainees
- Mr Will Earldley, Consultant Orthopaedic Trauma and Limb Reconstruction Surgeon, Research Associate, University of York CTU. Topic: Trauma networks
- Dr Wilson Li, Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Traumatology. Topic: COVID secure orthopaedic pathways
- Professor Ghulam Nabi, Professor of Surgical Uro-Oncology, NHS Tayside. Topic: Urology Chair, introductions and closing remarks
- Mr Jaimin Bhat, Consultant Urologist, Glasgow. Topic: Innovations in training urologists in Covid - post covid 19
- Professor Phil Cornford, Chair of the SAC (Urology), UK. Topic: Urology Training in the UK / Europe
- Professor Ganesh Gopalkrishnan, Ex-HOD Urology, CMC, Vellore. Topic: Training the trainers and surgical leadership in urology
- Dr BM Zeeshan Hameed, Associate Professor - Department of Urology, Chief - KMC Innovation Center, Convener Elect - Youth Organisation of Urology Society of India (YOU). Topic: Role of artificial intelligence in shaping the future of training in urology
- Mr Omer Karim, Consultant Urologist, Plymouth NHS Trust. Topic: Update on simulation technology in bridging skills training gap and related challenges
- Professor Rajeev TP, Professor and Head of Department of Urology, Gauhati Medical College Hospital, Urological Society of India. Topic: Urology Training in India
- Mr Andrew Garnham, Treasurer of the Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland, Chair of RCSEd's SSB in Vascular Surgery, Vascular Training Programme Director - HEWM. Topics: Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - should I operate?
Changes in Vascular Training a new specialty, adapting to covid with blended learning.
- Mr Ahmed Nassef, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Consultant Vascular Surgeon. Topic: Maintaining a walking platform in diabetic foot sepsis Ms Rachel Bell, Chairman of the Circulation Foundation, Consultant Vascular Surgeon. Topics: Managing the infected aortic graft and Development of telemedicine during covid applications for future practice.
- Professor Chris Imray, President of the Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland, Consultant Vascular Surgeon - UHCW. Topics: Challenging carotid dilemmas and The impact of covid 19 on vascular surgery - how we adapted, and lessons for the future.
- Professor Krishnamurthy Bonanthaya, Consultant OMFS, President Indian Society of Cleft Lip Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies, Past President AOMSI. Topic: Delivering comprehensive cleft care - An Indian Model?
- Mr Stuart Clark, Consultant OMFS surgeon. Stuart will chair the OMFS sessions.
- Mr Roger Currie, Consultant OMFS surgeon, Editor of Surgeons' News. Roger will chair the OMFS sessions.
- Professor Rui Fernandes, Professor of Surgery, Depts of OMFS, Neurosurgery, and Orthopaedics Surgery. Topic: Joint OMFS / ENT Session and Micro Vascular Reconstruction.
- Mr Colin MacIver, Consultant Maxillofacial, Head and Neck surgeon and Medical Director IT SSMC, Mayo Clinic. Topic: Navigation Systems trauma and oncology.
- Dr Girish Rao, Consultant OMFS. Topic: 3D printed technology - A game changer for Maxillofacial reconstruction and rehabilitation.
- Mr Austen Smith, Consultant OMFS - President BAOMS. Topic: Did it take a virus to change the face of surgical training?
- Professor Tirone David, Professor of surgery at the University of Toronto. Topic: Aortic surgery.
- Dr Douglas Mathisen, Head of Thoracic Surgery and Program Director for Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School. Topic: Tracheal surgery.
- Mr Sridhar Rathinam, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon. Topic: The world's first structured simulation programme, Minimally invasive thoracic surgery, and Exit examination for SCPs.
- Mr Geoff Tsang, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon. Topic: CABG or PCI in the Excel world.
- Professor Nirmal Kumar, Consultant Otolaryngologist-Head & Neck Surgeon, President, ENT UK. Topic: Otolaryngology Chair.
- Professor Sunil Dutt, Sr. Consultant Surgeon & Professor, Apollo Hospitals. Topic: tbc.
- Professor Kameswaran Mohan, Senior Consultant at the Madras ENT Research Foundation. Topic: tbc.
- Professor Ranjan Raychowdhury, Professor of Head & Neck Surgery, Vivekananda Institute of Medical Sciences. Topic: Abstracts.
- Mr Ram Bashkar, Consultant ENT Surgeon and Senior lecturer Aberdeen. Topic: Rhinology and anterior skull base surgery.
- Dr Anil D'Cruz, Sr. Consultant Surgeon & Professor, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Sarita Vihar. Topic: Head and neck surgery.
- Mr Ameet Kishore, Sr. Consultant Surgeon & Professor, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Sarita Vihar. Topic: Cochlear implantation and Otology/lateral skull base surgery Beyond Covid 19.
- Professor Bal Dhillon, Professor of Clinical Ophthalmology, University of Edinburgh, Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist. Topic: Examining the Trainee
- Dr Geetha Iyer, Senior Consultant at the Ocular Surface Clinic and the Cornea Services, Sankara Nethralaya. Topic: Osteo-Odontokerato-prosthesis
- Professor Thomas Kuriakose, Professor of Ophthalmology at Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore. Topic: Essentials in Education
- Professor Dan Milea, Clinician scientist, Head of the Visual Neuroscience Group at the Singapore Eye Research Institute. Topic: Artificial Intelligence in Neuro-Ophthalmology
- Dr Smita Praveen, Neuro-Ophthalmologist. Topic: Postgraduate training and beyond
- Dr P Sangameswaran Rajesh, Ophthalmologist. Topic: Mobile Eye Surgery Unit
- Dr Meenakshi Swaminathan, Paediatric Ophthalmologist. Topic: Assessment Methods: clinical and surgical skills
- Mr Likhith Alakandy, Consultant Neurosurgeon. Topic: Surgical Neuro-oncology in 2021 – Evidence update and impact of Covid – 19
- Mr Nihal Gurusinghe, Consultant Neurosurgeon, Member of the SSB for Neurosurgery of RCSEd. Topic: Spinal AV fistulae - Preston Experience
- Dr Jothy Kandasamy, Consultant Neurosurgeon. Topic: 10 years of a national paediatric epilepsy surgery service - challenges and successes
- Mr William Taylor, Consultant Neurosurgeon.
- Mr Alastair Gibson, Consultant Trauma and orthopaedic surgeon, Honorary Treasurer and Council member of RCSEd. Topic: Clinical Evidence and Techniques for Cervical Endoscopy
- Dr Christoph Hofstetter, Associate professor, Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Washington. Topic: Tips and Tricks of Lumbar Endoscopy
- Dr Menno Iprenburg, Orthopaedic Surgeon and Spinal Hernia Specialist. Topic: History of Transforaminal Endoscopy
- Dr Ralf Wagner, Consultant Spine Surgeon. Topic: Full Endoscopic Lumbar Decompression
- Mr Sai Vittal,Consultant Endocrine Surgeon, Adjunct Professor of the Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University. Topic: Parathyroid Surgery - Where do we stand now?
- Professor Phil Taylor, Dean of the Dental Faculty of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topics: Introduction to FDS, At the College – Diploma Examinations for the Dental Team, At the College - Prosthodontics, In the Chair - The commonwealth dental association and RCSEd, In the Chair – What is the future of Dentistry in your eyes?, At the College – Diploma Examinations for the Dental Team
- Professor Sarah Manton, Director of the Faculty of Dental Trainers of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topics: Introduction to FDT, Using workplace-based assessments to assess dental trainees: why, when and how?, Using workplace-based assessments to assess dental trainees: why, when and how?, Patient Safety in Dentistry: introducing two new tools for assessing the non-technical skills of dentists (DeNTS and DNAT), Quality assurance of training through the accreditation of courses: what is the value?
- Dr Dean Barker, Consultant and Clinical Lead in Restorative Dentistry at Aberdeen Dental Hospital. Topic: Excellence in Restorative Dentistry – What's next for the restorative team?
- Professor Dirk Bister, Consultant Orthodontist. Topic: Excellence in Orthodontics – What's next in orthodontics?
- Dr Ian Corbett, Consultant in Oral Surgery, Past Convenor of Dental Examinations at RCSEd. Topic: Excellence in Oral Surgery – What can we do better and safer in oral surgery?
- Professor Helen Craddock, RCSEd Dental Vice Dean and Emeritus Professor in Dental Education. Topics: Excellence in General Dental Practice – What is the future for Family Dentistry? and Building International Faculty Collaborations
- Dr Richard Cure, RCSEd Convener of Dental Education. Topic: Quality assurance of training through the accreditation of courses: what is the value?, At the College - Orthodontics, and Dental Education: what have we got on offer?
- Professor DYD Samarawickrama, President of the Commonwealth Dental Association, Emeritus Professor of Conservative Dentistry at Queen Mary Hospital. Topic: In the Chair - The commonwealth dental association and RCSEd
- Professor Shakeel Shahdad, Consultant in Restorative Dentistry, Honorary Clinical Professor in Oral Rehabilitation & Implantology. Topic: In the Chair – What is the future of Dentistry in your eyes?
- Dr Pam Hardy, Chairman of the Faculty of Pre-hospital Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: tbc.
- Prof David Lockey, Immediate past Chair of the Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: Pre-Hospital Care: what is possible?
- Dr Rod MacKenzie, Consultant in Emergency Medicine and Pre Hospital Emergency Medicine. Topic: Trauma systems – improving the whole patient pathway
- Professor Mark Wilson, Consultant Neurosurgeon. Topic: Using Technology to improve pre-hospital outcomes
- Professor Angus Watson,Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, NHS Highland, Member of Council, The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: FRRHH Chair.
- Dr Jesudian Gnararaj,Urologist, Laparoscopic and Rural Surgeon, Secretary of the International Federation of Rural Surgeons. Topic:
- Mr Andy Kent, Consultant trauma and orthopaedic surgeon, Vice-chair of the Faculty of Remote, Rural & Humanitarian Healthcare. Topic: Responding to Global Emergencies.
- Professor Tony Redmond, Professor of International Emergency Medicine at University of Manchester. Topic: Responding to Global Emergencies.
- Mr Charlie Auld, Lead of the Faculty of Perioperative Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: Chair of FPC and Medical Associates in the UK : career progression and regulation
- Ms Anitha Chandrasekar, Vice-President of the Indian Association of Physician Assistants. Topic: Life of CT surgical PAs in India
- Mr Tim Graham, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Member of the Council of RCSEd, Former Chair of the Professional Standards Committee. Topics: The world's first structured simulation programme and Overview of the Faculty of Perioperative Care (aims and objectives)
- Ms Bhuvaneswari Krishnamoorthy, National Chair in the Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons for all Nurses and Allied Health Professionals in GB, Education Lead for the RCSEd SSB in Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Mr Ramakrishnan Shivakumar, President of the Indian Association of Physician Assistants (IAPA).
- Dr John Etherington, President of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine. Topic: FSEM presentation, Role, structure and aspirations, Training of SEM in UK, Musculoskeletal medicine, Elite Sport, International Development
- Dr Natasha Jones, Sport and Exercise Medicine Consultant. Topic: Moving medicine
- Professor David O'Regan, Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, Director of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers of the RCSEd, Visiting Professor, Department of Surgery, Imperial College.
By registering for the RCSEd Chennai 2022 Conference, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our RCSEd Event Registration Privacy Statement.