We look forward to welcoming you to the Chennai Conference in October 2022. Book your space today for an event full of learnings, new advances and vital networking opportunities involving a range of expert speakers covering all surgical specialties, College Faculties and Dentistry.
Thursday 6 October 2022
- International Surgical Organisations and COVID: what to expect in the “new normal”?
- Contemporary delivery and future developments of education and assessment activity
- Faculty of Dental Surgery – all day session
- Vascular Surgery - workshops
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – workshop
- Cardiothoracic Surgery – workshop
- Endoscopic Spinal Surgery – workshop
- Endocrine Surgery – Lecture
- Otolaryngology – workshop
- Faculty of Remote and Rural Surgery - workshop
Friday 7 October 2022
Parallel Sessions for Surgical Specialty
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Trauma and Orthopaedic
- Paediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Dental Surgery
Saturday 8 October 2022
Parallel Sessions for College Faculties
- The Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care
- The Faculty of Remote, Rural and Humanitarian Healthcare
- The Faculty of Perioperative Care
- The Faculty of Surgical Trainers
- The Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- The Faculty of Dental Trainers
- The Faculty of Dental Surgery
- What I wish I had known (when I started my consultant practice)
- Closing Plenary Session
Special Guest Speakers
- Professor Michael Griffin, RCSEd President. Topic: International Surgical Organisations and Covid: what to expect in the “new normal”
- Mr Pala Rajesh, RCSEd Vice-president. Topic: Closing plenary session
- Professor Rowan Parks, RCSEd Vice-president. Topic: Contemporary delivery and future developments of education and exam activity
- Dr Judy Evans, Immediate Past Honorary Secretary of the RCSEd. Topic: What I wish I had known when I started (my consultant practice).
- Mr Aidan Fitzgerald, Convener of Education of the RCSEd. Topic: Evolution in surgical teaching, learning and assessment
- Prof Pawanindra Lal, Vice President, International College of Laparoscopic Surgeons. Topic: Tbc.
- Mr Zahid Raza, Convener of Examinations of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: Overcoming Challenges for RCSEd Surgical Examinations during Covid 19
- Prof April Roslani, President for the Malaysian Society of Colorectal Surgeons and Immediate Past-President for the College of Surgeons. Topic: Tbc.
- Dr Tony Sparnon, Past President of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Topic: Tbc.
- Dr Clare McNaught, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Consultant General Surgeon, Co-chair.
- Ms Anna Paisley, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Consultant General and Upper GI Surgeon, Co-chair.
- Professor Pawanindra Lal, Consultant Laparoscopic Gastro-intestinal, Oncology & Bariatric Surgeon, Vice President, International College of Laparoscopic Surgeon. Topics: Conduct of Exit Examinations during the times of COVID 19 and The future of advanced surgical techniques post Covid in India
- Professor April Roslani, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Universiti Malaya, President for the Malaysian Society of Colorectal Surgeons and Immediate Past-President for the College of Surgeons. Topic: Covid-driven innovations
- Professor Neil Smart, Consultant Colorectal Surgeon. Topic: Colorectal Surgery - what have we learnt from Covid?
- Ms Amanda McCabe, Consultant paediatric surgeon, Member of Council of RCSEd. Topic: Training: Fine motor skills lab
- Mr Fraser Munro, Consultant Paediatric Surgeon. Topic: Tracheooesophageal fistula repair
- Mr Venkat Sripathi, Senior Consultant Paediatric Urologist and Robotic Surgeon. Topic: Young Surgeon / Trainee specialty session 10x6 min (5min paper + 2 in questions)
- Professor Warwick Teague, Consultant Paediatric Surgeon and Associate Professor of Paediatric Surgery. Topic: Trauma updates in paediatrics
- Mr Shivaram Bharathwaj, International Surgical Tutor, Madurai. Topic: Training opportunities in Plastic Surgery in the coming decade
- Dr Judy Evans, Consultant plastic Surgeon; former Honorary Secretary of RCSEd. Topic: Training opportunities in Plastic Surgery in the coming decade
- Professor Simon Kay, Consultant Plastic Surgeon. Topic: Composite Tissue Allotransplantation, Panel discussion and Q&A Head and Neck reconstruction, Breast reconstruction, Hand transplantation
- Dr Maniram Ragbir, SAC representative on the SSB in Plastic Surgery. Topic: Panel discussion and Q&A Head and Neck reconstruction, Breast reconstruction, Hand transplantation
- Dr Venkat Ramakrishnan. Topic: Panel discussion and Q&A Head and Neck reconstruction, Breast reconstruction, Hand transplantation
- Ms Claire Edwards, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon. Topic: Trauma and Ortho Chair
- Professor Phil Turner, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Executive member of the British Orthopaedic Association (BOA). Topic: Trauma and Ortho Chair, Orthopaedic assessments
- Professor Gautam Chakrabarty, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon. Topic: Selection of orthopaedic trainees
- Mr Mark Crowther, Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder Surgeon. Topic: Selection of orthopaedic trainees
- Mr Will Earldley, Consultant Orthopaedic Trauma and Limb Reconstruction Surgeon, Research Associate, University of York CTU. Topic: Trauma networks
- Dr Wilson Li, Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Traumatology. Topic: COVID secure orthopaedic pathways
- Professor Ghulam Nabi, Professor of Surgical Uro-Oncology, NHS Tayside. Topic: Urology Chair, introductions and closing remarks
- Mr Jaimin Bhat, Consultant Urologist, Glasgow. Topic: Innovations in training urologists in Covid - post covid 19
- Professor Phil Cornford, Chair of the SAC (Urology), UK. Topic: Urology Training in the UK / Europe
- Professor Ganesh Gopalkrishnan, Ex-HOD Urology, CMC, Vellore. Topic: Training the trainers and surgical leadership in urology
- Dr BM Zeeshan Hameed, Associate Professor - Department of Urology, Chief - KMC Innovation Center, Convener Elect - Youth Organisation of Urology Society of India (YOU). Topic: Role of artificial intelligence in shaping the future of training in urology
- Mr Omer Karim, Consultant Urologist, Plymouth NHS Trust. Topic: Update on simulation technology in bridging skills training gap and related challenges
- Professor Rajeev TP, Professor and Head of Department of Urology, Gauhati Medical College Hospital, Urological Society of India. Topic: Urology Training in India
- Mr Andrew Garnham, Treasurer of the Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland, Chair of RCSEd's SSB in Vascular Surgery, Vascular Training Programme Director - HEWM. Topics: Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - should I operate?
Changes in Vascular Training a new specialty, adapting to covid with blended learning.
- Mr Ahmed Nassef, Member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Consultant Vascular Surgeon. Topic: Maintaining a walking platform in diabetic foot sepsis Ms Rachel Bell, Chairman of the Circulation Foundation, Consultant Vascular Surgeon. Topics: Managing the infected aortic graft and Development of telemedicine during covid applications for future practice.
- Professor Chris Imray, President of the Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland, Consultant Vascular Surgeon - UHCW. Topics: Challenging carotid dilemmas and The impact of covid 19 on vascular surgery - how we adapted, and lessons for the future.
- Professor Krishnamurthy Bonanthaya, Consultant OMFS, President Indian Society of Cleft Lip Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies, Past President AOMSI. Topic: Delivering comprehensive cleft care - An Indian Model?
- Mr Stuart Clark, Consultant OMFS surgeon. Stuart will chair the OMFS sessions.
- Mr Roger Currie, Consultant OMFS surgeon, Editor of Surgeons' News. Roger will chair the OMFS sessions.
- Professor Rui Fernandes, Professor of Surgery, Depts of OMFS, Neurosurgery, and Orthopaedics Surgery. Topic: Joint OMFS / ENT Session and Micro Vascular Reconstruction.
- Mr Colin MacIver, Consultant Maxillofacial, Head and Neck surgeon and Medical Director IT SSMC, Mayo Clinic. Topic: Navigation Systems trauma and oncology.
- Dr Girish Rao, Consultant OMFS. Topic: 3D printed technology - A game changer for Maxillofacial reconstruction and rehabilitation.
- Mr Austen Smith, Consultant OMFS - President BAOMS. Topic: Did it take a virus to change the face of surgical training?
- Professor Tirone David, Professor of surgery at the University of Toronto. Topic: Aortic surgery.
- Dr Douglas Mathisen, Head of Thoracic Surgery and Program Director for Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School. Topic: Tracheal surgery.
- Mr Sridhar Rathinam, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon. Topic: The world's first structured simulation programme, Minimally invasive thoracic surgery, and Exit examination for SCPs.
- Mr Geoff Tsang, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon. Topic: CABG or PCI in the Excel world.
- Professor Nirmal Kumar, Consultant Otolaryngologist-Head & Neck Surgeon, President, ENT UK. Topic: Otolaryngology Chair.
- Professor Sunil Dutt, Sr. Consultant Surgeon & Professor, Apollo Hospitals. Topic: tbc.
- Professor Kameswaran Mohan, Senior Consultant at the Madras ENT Research Foundation. Topic: tbc.
- Professor Ranjan Raychowdhury, Professor of Head & Neck Surgery, Vivekananda Institute of Medical Sciences. Topic: Abstracts.
- Mr Ram Bashkar, Consultant ENT Surgeon and Senior lecturer Aberdeen. Topic: Rhinology and anterior skull base surgery.
- Dr Anil D'Cruz, Sr. Consultant Surgeon & Professor, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Sarita Vihar. Topic: Head and neck surgery.
- Mr Ameet Kishore, Sr. Consultant Surgeon & Professor, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Sarita Vihar. Topic: Cochlear implantation and Otology/lateral skull base surgery Beyond Covid 19.
- Professor Bal Dhillon, Professor of Clinical Ophthalmology, University of Edinburgh, Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist. Topic: Examining the Trainee
- Dr Geetha Iyer, Senior Consultant at the Ocular Surface Clinic and the Cornea Services, Sankara Nethralaya. Topic: Osteo-Odontokerato-prosthesis
- Professor Thomas Kuriakose, Professor of Ophthalmology at Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore. Topic: Essentials in Education
- Professor Dan Milea, Clinician scientist, Head of the Visual Neuroscience Group at the Singapore Eye Research Institute. Topic: Artificial Intelligence in Neuro-Ophthalmology
- Dr Smita Praveen, Neuro-Ophthalmologist. Topic: Postgraduate training and beyond
- Dr P Sangameswaran Rajesh, Ophthalmologist. Topic: Mobile Eye Surgery Unit
- Dr Meenakshi Swaminathan, Paediatric Ophthalmologist. Topic: Assessment Methods: clinical and surgical skills
- Mr Likhith Alakandy, Consultant Neurosurgeon. Topic: Surgical Neuro-oncology in 2021 – Evidence update and impact of Covid – 19
- Mr Nihal Gurusinghe, Consultant Neurosurgeon, Member of the SSB for Neurosurgery of RCSEd. Topic: Spinal AV fistulae - Preston Experience
- Dr Jothy Kandasamy, Consultant Neurosurgeon. Topic: 10 years of a national paediatric epilepsy surgery service - challenges and successes
- Mr William Taylor, Consultant Neurosurgeon.
- Mr Alastair Gibson, Consultant Trauma and orthopaedic surgeon, Honorary Treasurer and Council member of RCSEd. Topic: Clinical Evidence and Techniques for Cervical Endoscopy
- Dr Christoph Hofstetter, Associate professor, Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Washington. Topic: Tips and Tricks of Lumbar Endoscopy
- Dr Menno Iprenburg, Orthopaedic Surgeon and Spinal Hernia Specialist. Topic: History of Transforaminal Endoscopy
- Dr Ralf Wagner, Consultant Spine Surgeon. Topic: Full Endoscopic Lumbar Decompression
- Mr Sai Vittal,Consultant Endocrine Surgeon, Adjunct Professor of the Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University. Topic: Parathyroid Surgery - Where do we stand now?
- Professor Phil Taylor, Dean of the Dental Faculty of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topics: Introduction to FDS, At the College – Diploma Examinations for the Dental Team, At the College - Prosthodontics, In the Chair - The commonwealth dental association and RCSEd, In the Chair – What is the future of Dentistry in your eyes?, At the College – Diploma Examinations for the Dental Team
- Professor Sarah Manton, Director of the Faculty of Dental Trainers of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topics: Introduction to FDT, Using workplace-based assessments to assess dental trainees: why, when and how?, Using workplace-based assessments to assess dental trainees: why, when and how?, Patient Safety in Dentistry: introducing two new tools for assessing the non-technical skills of dentists (DeNTS and DNAT), Quality assurance of training through the accreditation of courses: what is the value?
- Dr Dean Barker, Consultant and Clinical Lead in Restorative Dentistry at Aberdeen Dental Hospital. Topic: Excellence in Restorative Dentistry – What's next for the restorative team?
- Professor Dirk Bister, Consultant Orthodontist. Topic: Excellence in Orthodontics – What's next in orthodontics?
- Dr Ian Corbett, Consultant in Oral Surgery, Past Convenor of Dental Examinations at RCSEd. Topic: Excellence in Oral Surgery – What can we do better and safer in oral surgery?
- Professor Helen Craddock, RCSEd Dental Vice Dean and Emeritus Professor in Dental Education. Topics: Excellence in General Dental Practice – What is the future for Family Dentistry? and Building International Faculty Collaborations
- Dr Richard Cure, RCSEd Convener of Dental Education. Topic: Quality assurance of training through the accreditation of courses: what is the value?, At the College - Orthodontics, and Dental Education: what have we got on offer?
- Professor DYD Samarawickrama, President of the Commonwealth Dental Association, Emeritus Professor of Conservative Dentistry at Queen Mary Hospital. Topic: In the Chair - The commonwealth dental association and RCSEd
- Professor Shakeel Shahdad, Consultant in Restorative Dentistry, Honorary Clinical Professor in Oral Rehabilitation & Implantology. Topic: In the Chair – What is the future of Dentistry in your eyes?
- Dr Pam Hardy, Chairman of the Faculty of Pre-hospital Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: tbc.
- Prof David Lockey, Immediate past Chair of the Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: Pre-Hospital Care: what is possible?
- Dr Rod MacKenzie, Consultant in Emergency Medicine and Pre Hospital Emergency Medicine. Topic: Trauma systems – improving the whole patient pathway
- Professor Mark Wilson, Consultant Neurosurgeon. Topic: Using Technology to improve pre-hospital outcomes
- Professor Angus Watson,Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, NHS Highland, Member of Council, The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: FRRHH Chair.
- Dr Jesudian Gnararaj,Urologist, Laparoscopic and Rural Surgeon, Secretary of the International Federation of Rural Surgeons. Topic:
- Mr Andy Kent, Consultant trauma and orthopaedic surgeon, Vice-chair of the Faculty of Remote, Rural & Humanitarian Healthcare. Topic: Responding to Global Emergencies.
- Professor Tony Redmond, Professor of International Emergency Medicine at University of Manchester. Topic: Responding to Global Emergencies.
- Mr Charlie Auld, Lead of the Faculty of Perioperative Care, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Topic: Chair of FPC and Medical Associates in the UK : career progression and regulation
- Ms Anitha Chandrasekar, Vice-President of the Indian Association of Physician Assistants. Topic: Life of CT surgical PAs in India
- Mr Tim Graham, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Member of the Council of RCSEd, Former Chair of the Professional Standards Committee. Topics: The world's first structured simulation programme and Overview of the Faculty of Perioperative Care (aims and objectives)
- Ms Bhuvaneswari Krishnamoorthy, National Chair in the Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons for all Nurses and Allied Health Professionals in GB, Education Lead for the RCSEd SSB in Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Mr Ramakrishnan Shivakumar, President of the Indian Association of Physician Assistants (IAPA).
- Dr John Etherington, President of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine. Topic: FSEM presentation, Role, structure and aspirations, Training of SEM in UK, Musculoskeletal medicine, Elite Sport, International Development
- Dr Natasha Jones, Sport and Exercise Medicine Consultant. Topic: Moving medicine
- Professor David O'Regan, Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, Director of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers of the RCSEd, Visiting Professor, Department of Surgery, Imperial College.