Visitor Services Assistant (28 hours per week)
About the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh is an independent membership organisation concerned principally with the education, training and assessment of Surgeons, Dental Surgeons and Doctors who are involved in the surgical care of patients. Founded in 1505, the College currently has a membership approaching 30,000 in approximately 100 countries throughout the world.
Working with us
At the College we aim to embrace views from across the organisation, sharing common goals and values for the betterment of healthcare through the advancement of surgical and dental professionals. We aim to develop teams that are reflective of the needs of our members and maximise the potential of every employee.
To reflect the varying needs across the organisation, we offer a range of policies and benefits for our workforce including a generous 42 days annual leave, flexible working practices (including hybrid working where applicable), Bike2Work scheme, employee assistance programme, enhanced employer pensions contribution and various discounts throughout the College including the Ten Hill Place Hotel, 1505 Café and free entry to our famous Surgeons’ Hall Museum.
About the Role
We are seeking a part-time Visitor Services Assistant to enhance our ground-breaking museum. Reporting to the Visitor Services Supervisor the primary duties and responsibilities will include:
- a) Opening and closing the museum
- b) Supervising the museum, maintaining the safety and security of visitors, volunteers and the collection
- c) Welcoming visitors, taking money and issuing tickets
- d) Handling cash
- Issuing tickets to visitors
- Cashing up at the end of day
- Transferring monies to Finance Department
- Selling books, posters and other stock
- e) Recording the number of visitors
- f) Recording shop sales and keeping stock of shop items
- g) Daily front of house housekeeping, i.e. leaflet replenishment and wiping cases.
- h) Answering or taking enquiries to pass on to volunteers and staff
The post requires experience of using standard systems (MS Word, Excel and Outlook) as well as previous experience of cash handling. You will have good organisation, verbal and written skills and a knowledge of/interest in the history of surgery and medicine is desirable. A good level of education with at least credit level Standard Grade English or equivalent is required.
Please note that we do not accept CVs and agencies need not apply.
Dates of interviews will be confirmed in due course.