Course Details - Surgery and the Child
- When is this course held?
To be confirmed
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- How much will this course cost?
From £165.00 - View more information below
- Can I book online?
See Location Specific Details
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 6 hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Surgery and the Child
Paediatric surgical care has become increasingly centralised to specialist centres over recent years. This can result in decreased paediatric exposure for surgical teams in non-specialist centres and the loss of confidence in carrying out appropriate secondary level surgical care close to home. All hospitals can face paediatric surgical emergency care and may take paediatric elective surgical referrals. In specialist centres, surgical teams may have paediatric commitments in emergency situations which they do not meet in day to day practice. It is important that the surgical teams across all specialties feel confident with the issues which are unique to paediatrics to enable them to deliver high quality and safe care. Understanding these issues are also core foundations to the training of every surgeon. This unique course offers a one-day focused training in paediatric aspects of surgical care.
All surgical consultants who have responsibility for paediatric surgical emergency or elective care - particularly where this is not their core role. All surgical trainees (CT/ST) for all specialties.
Focused lectures on key knowledge objectives. Interactive small group case-based learning with expert faculty.
To equip surgeons who treat children with paediatric knowledge and skills to enable them to confidently and safely deal with paediatric surgical care. To inform all surgeons in training of the unique factors around paediatric surgical care.
After attending this course, delegates will have improved in their ability to:
- Place their own paediatric surgical practice within a regional and national context
- Appropriately manage shared decision-making and consent in a paediatric setting
- Communicate effectively with paediatric patients
- Understand how to manage the deteriorating child
- Discuss the issues around children with disabilities and how best to meet their needs
- Explain the responsibilities for child protection in surgical care
- Discuss the differences between paediatric and adult trauma
- Describe latest developments in paediatric anaesthesia and how these impact on appropriate listing of surgical patients and the surgery undertaken (age, safety, pre-assessment, pain)
Course Fee: £185.00
RCSEd Member Fee: £165.00
Mr Steven Powell, Consultant Paediatric Otolaryngologist & Mr Gareth Hosie, Consultant Paediatric Surgeon