Course Details - Non-Technical Skills for Surgeons (NOTSS)
- When is this course held?
21 Nov 2019 - 29 May 2020 (3 dates)
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- How much does this course cost?
From £158 - View more information below
- Can I book online?:
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 6 Hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Non-Technical Skills for Surgeons (NOTSS)
This is a one-day course for consultant surgeons and post-CCT trainees from all surgical specialties. The course examines the non-technical skills which underpin good operative performance using short talks, video simulated scenarios, an audience response voting system, and small group discussions.
At the end of the course participants will be able to understand the theories and research relating to adverse events in surgery and the importance of the non-technical skills in improving performance. Attendees will also be able to use the NOTSS taxonomy to observe, rate, and provide feedback on behaviours in the operating room.
Consultants and senior trainees in all surgical specialties.
Relevant Grades: ST7, ST8, SAS, Consultant
Participants are sent reading material prior to attending the course. The course gives participants practical experience of observing and rating non-technical behaviours. The format is centered on small group work and the use of simulated scenarios from the operating theatre and other industries.
Technical skills are, of themselves, inadequate to ensure optimal outcome following surgery. This course aims to address the non-technical skills that are the essential cognitive and interpersonal aspects of operative surgery, and underpin technical actions by optimising and enhancing the performance of individual surgeons and through them, the surgical team.
On completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relevance of non-technical skills and error management to surgical performance
- Observe and discuss examples of good and poor behaviours in the operating theatre
- Use a taxonomy of non-technical skills
- Rate behaviours using the NOTSS rating scale
- Provide structured feedback to trainees/other consultant surgeons based on observations
- Discuss how non-technical failures can lead to poor clinical outcomes.
Costs for this course begin at £95 and vary depending on the location. Contact the Education Department for more details.
Professor George Youngson