Course Details - Informed Consent: Sharing the Decision (ICONS)
- When is this course held?
6 Nov 2019 (1 date)
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- Birmingham - RCSEd
- How much does this course cost?
From £110 - View more information below
- Can I book online?:
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 6 Hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Informed Consent: Sharing the Decision (ICONS)
This innovative educational initiative was developed as a direct and constructive response to the communication inadequacies exposed by the Montgomery case, and subsequent legislation. While it is not difficult to give ‘more information’ it is harder for surgeons and patients to achieve a decision partnership.
The ICONS workshop content has been informed by internationally recognised experts in Shared Decision Making, by consensus among senior practising surgeons, by patients and by professional experts in risk management and risk communication.
Delegates on the ICONS workshops will acquire skills and knowledge to implement best practice in sharing the complex decisions surrounding informed consent. By participating in a workshop, they will also contribute to the development of resources for future training in the important area of informed consent.
All grades of trainees; SAS / LED / Trust Doctors; Consultants. Non FRCS surgeons – Ophthalmologists; Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
SpR, SAS, Consultant, Other Medical Specialties, ST Grade - All
This one-day workshop aims to:
- Achieve the behavioural changes demanded by post Montgomery legislation and to fulfil the expectations of today’s patients
- Consider strengths and weaknesses in your own current practice
- Demonstrate time efficient methods of eliciting patient needs, preferences and values in busy clinics
- Improve your communication strategies and individualised patient risk profiling
- Gain skills in communication of individualised risk
- Learn the rudiments of decision aid development
This brand new initiative also offers a unique preparation to train others in decision sharing. The workshop will help you to identify what forms of decision aid might work best for you in your areas of particular interest in the future and will prepare you to help others in your team understand the challenges of decision sharing.
Having attended the ICONS workshop you will be able to:
- Discuss options including surgical and non surgical
- Communicate risk to patients in a more realistic way
- Employ efficient methods of eliciting patient needs, preferences, and values in a busy clinic
- Use appropriate language for well-balanced surgeon patient interactions
- Consider responses to the common enquiry - “what would you do, Dr?”
- Appreciate the role of recommending treatments to patients
- Critically appraise their own current patient information resources
- Write direct to patients (versus ‘copying in’)
- Incorporate consideration of anaesthetic risk
Course Fee: £150.00
RCSEd Member/Fellow Fee: £135.00
RCSEd Trainee Fee: £110.00
Please note that a cancellation charge applies.
Prof Janet Wilson, ENT Surgeon, Newcastle upon Tyne, Council Member RCSEd