Exam Details - Membership in Periodontics (M Perio)
- Where and when is this exam being held? View locations and dates
- Membership in Periodontics
- 2 November 2023 BOOK NOW
- Membership in Periodontics
- 18 September 2023 - View exam details FULL
- How much does this exam cost? From £1500 - View more information below
- Exam group: Dental Exam | See more Dental Exams
Membership in Periodontics (M Perio)
The Membership in Periodontics (M Perio) exam is recognised as the end point of training in this field of restorative dentistry. The examination is a summative assessment of core knowledge and clinical judgement in Periodontics as defined in the Learning Outcomes, and intended to test the candidate’s application of knowledge and clinical judgement at a level expected of a specialist practitioner.
- Opportunity to demonstrate a specialist level of knowledge and clinical judgment in Periodontics and to exhibit this in the context of overall patient care
- Required as part of the eligibility criteria for the award of the Certificate of Completion of Specialty Training (CCST) in Periodontics
- Successful candidates will be granted Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the College (on payment of such election fee and annual subscription)
The Membership in Periodontics (M Perio) exam has two components.
- Written Exam
The written exam consists of two papers. Each paper is of two hours’ duration and will include Multiple Short Answer (MSA) questions.
- Structured Oral on Clinical Scenarios
This is a structured oral exam based on a series of four long and eight short clinical scenarios. For each Long Case, candidates will have 15 minutes preparation time, followed by 15 minutes of oral examination time. For each Short Case, no candidate preparation time is allocated prior to the oral examination. These will be assessed in two blocks of 4 cases, each block being for a period of 30 minutes duration (approximately 7.5 minutes per short case).
To be eligible to sit this exam, all applicants must provide evidence of:
- Possession of a primary dental qualification that is acceptable to the Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
- Completion of a period of three years full-time (or part-time equivalent) in appropriate programmes of specialty training. Candidates may, however, enter themselves for examination after two years (or part-time equivalent) at the time of sitting, provided their programme director has signed their application form to suggest satisfactory progress has been achieved in their programme.
Full details can be found in the exam documentation.
Candidates have four attempts in which to pass their Membership in Periodontics exam.
Before applying for this exam, please ensure you have read and understood the relevant documentation.
Our Exam Policies and Procedures page will provide you with more general information about sitting an exam at the College.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are currently no Frequently Asked Questions associated with this exam. If you would like more information please contact us.
Phone: +44 (0)131 527 1600
Fax: +44 (0)131 527 6406