SAS and Locum Consultants Committee
The College has an elected SAS Member that sits on the College Council and also on the SAS Committee with a view to represent the views and requirements of our SAS membership, within the College and externally.
Ms Victoria Dobie is an Associate Specialist in Orthopaedics and Trauma at the Borders General Hospital in the Scottish Borders. Over her career as an SAS grade she has held the posts of Educational and Clinical Supervisor for trainees, has studied for a Diploma in Management with the Open University, and is presently Secondary Care Appraisal Lead for her hospital.
As Chair of the SAS committee and SAS representative on Council, Victoria aims to achieve full integration of SAS grade surgeons with College activities, allowing SAS Surgeons to develop their careers to their full potential.
Members of the SAS Committee are:
- Ailsa Bain is a Specialty Doctor in Urology working in Cumbria, having previously trained in the North East of England and the West of Scotland. She has an interest in undergraduate education and has a role as an Honorary Senior Lecturer with the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. She was appointed to the RCSEd SAS and locum consultant committee in 2014 and is also a member of the RCSEd Faculty of Surgical Trainers. Ailsa is deputy SAS tutor in her hospital trust. She works less than full time and is keen to promote SAS posts as a positive career choice for those wishing to work and develop flexibly.
- Braj Kishore Jha joined the college SASLC in August 2018. He has been a fellow of the college since 1994. He is currently working as Associate Urologist at Whiston Hospital in Merseyside and is also the SAS lead /SAS tutor at his local trust. He has been an SAS doctor since 1997 and brings his vast experience as SAS doctor to the college SASLC.
- Dipen Boghani is a staff grade Ophthalmologist working at East Surrey Surrey hospital in Redhil, Surrey. After completing MS (Ophthalmology) in India, he passed his FRCS in both Edinburgh and Glasgow in 2000. He has served in SASLC committee at Royal college of surgeons in Edinburgh for last 2 years .He has also served in Royal college of Ophthalmologists, SAS committee as Southwest London regional representative for last 4 years and recently was appointed as chair in the same committee.
- Helen Jones is a specialty doctor in colorectal surgery in Oxford. After training in the Mersey region, she had a ten-year career break away from medicine, including five years of further study and travel and five years working as a statistician. She then returned to a medical career and has been a specialty doctor since 2015. She is a SAS tutor, working to develop SAS doctors locally. She is also involved in research and post-graduate medical education.
- Kaushik Paul is a Speciality Dentist in Oral Surgery based at the Birmingham Dental Hospital along with being in General Practice within the NHS in the West Midlands for over 13 years .He has a diverse experience in clinical dentistry from working within primary care general dental practice, secondary care hospital practice and community practices. Kaushik has personal experience of less than full-time (LTFT) working as a SAS Dentist , and is keen to highlight the issues facing this cohort of colleagues .He is also interested in increasing the representation of SAS grades in various examinations within the college.
- Majid Mukadam
- Peter Brotherton is a Specialist in Oral Surgery and Associate Specialist in OMFS. He has had varied roles in the past including President of the Hospitals group of the BDA and its Current Chair, Vice Chair of the BDA CCHDS, national BDA SAS representative onto the BMA SASC and a member of BAOS council for over 14 years. He has also been requested by the (then) CDO of England to be part of the commissioning working group for Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine that developed the commissioning guide. He is a SAS tutor and TPD for my trust.
- Soran Chawishly
Suresh Madhavan Anandanl is a Specialty Doctor in Plastic Surgery at Wexham Park Hosiptal since 2013. He completed his medical training, culminating in MCh (Plastic Surgery) from India and thereafter acquired Diplomas in Plastic Surgery as well as Hand Surgery from the European board. He is keen to work with the College supporting SAS doctors and has been an active member of the committee since 2016.
Committee meetings are held twice a year.
If you are an RCSEd member in an SAS or Locum grade, please help us to communicate relevant information to you by ensuring your profile is up-to-date.
- GMC - Applying for entry on to the Specialist Register with a CESR (GMC)
- BMA - A UK guide to job planning for specialty doctors and associate specialists
- NES - NHS Education Scotland (NES) SAS doctors' information
If you require any information relating to the Committee's activities, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.