RCSEd Hosts First Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Conference
27 June 2023
The College recently hosted the inaugural Edinburgh Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine Conference over two days, a prestigious event bringing together a host of prominent surgeons, physiotherapists, and psychologists in the sporting world.
Held in collaboration with Edinburgh Orthopaedics and The University of Edinburgh, the event welcomed expertise from nine different countries in the field of sports medicine.
Throughout the two-day conference, attendees gathered for a program that encompassed five pivotal topics of discussion, including hamstring injuries, shoulder injuries, concussion, knee, and hip injuries. It was an honour to have keynote speakers on each topic who have worked with esteemed organisations as seen below, plus many more.
- Dr John A Maclean – International Football.
- Professor Lars Engebretsen - International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- Professor Rowena Johnson – International Rugby and The Royal Ballet
- Dr Geoffrey Abrams – Stanford University School of Medicine
- Dr Joshua Dines – Previously Major League Baseball (MLB), Major League Pickleball (MLP)
- Dr Allen Sills - National Football League (NFL)
- Dr Jo Larkin - Sail GP
- Professor Andrew Murray – DP World Tour Golf
- Professor Babette Pluim - KNLTB / ATP / ITF (Tennis)
- Professor Steven Yule - National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Behind the scenes, the conference was expertly organised by a group led by Mr Iain Murray, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon and his accomplished Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery Registrar colleague, Patrick Robinson, both based at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.
One of the key objectives of the conference was to emphasise the multidisciplinary approach that underpins sports medicine. By exploring the synergies between various medical specialities in the context of sports medicine, the conference sought to foster collaboration and innovation in the field.
Reflecting on the event, Mr. Iain Murray, said:
We are incredibly proud of the success of the conference that has laid a solid foundation for future collaboration in the surgery and sports medicine at large field, to make sure we are always providing the best and most researched care to each and every one of our patients.
Co-organiser, Mr. Patrick Robinson, also commented:
We would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to all the speakers, attendees, and the conference partners for their invaluable contributions to the success of this conference. Together, we created an environment that fostered the exchange of intricate ideas, and developed a more holistic approach to patient care.
Watch our conference highlights here: