Exam Details - MFDS Part 2
- Where and when is this exam being held? To be confirmed
- Contact our team to enquire about this exam
There are currently no live dates for this exam. Please check back later or contact a member of the Examinations team to enquire about booking.
- How much will this exam cost? From £730 - View more information below
- Exam group: Dental Exam | See more Dental Exams
MFDS Part 2
The Diploma of Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery (MFDS) is an internationally recognised dental qualification which demonstrates completion of foundation/basic postgraduate dental training. The exam is bi-collegiate and is organised jointly by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. The papers sat at each of the Colleges at any particular sitting are identical and are held simultaneously. The MFDS exam has two parts, Part 1 and Part 2.
The MFDS Part 2 tests the trainee’s clinical competence by assessing communication skills and the knowledge and understanding required to manage a range of common conditions.
The MFDS Part 2 is an Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE). The exam consists of 10 stations and usually lasts around two hours. Each station will simulate the types of patient consultation that confront candidates during their training.
The 10 areas examined are listed below:
- History taking (two stations)
Dental, medical, social
- Explanations (four stations)
Diagnosis, prognosis, treatment options, procedures
- Interpretation of investigations/special tests (one station)
- Managing patient concerns/queries (three stations)
Gaining consent, handling complaints, managing anxiety, motivating, breaking bad
The stations carry equal weight, and candidates will be awarded either a pass or a fail.
Benefits of the MFDS
The MFDS marks a level of achievement above and beyond the primary dental qualification and clearly exhibits an early commitment to professional development.
For those aspiring to enter specialty training, it will also provide a significant contribution to the portfolio of evidence that would be required to indicate suitable eligibility.
- Opportunity to demonstrate the acquisition of knowledge, understanding and clinical competence that will have been obtained during Dental Foundation Training.
Membership of the College
By choosing to sit your MFDS Part 2 at the RCSEd, you will be joining our membership network of approximately 25,000 professionals in over 100 countries worldwide. As well as joining a College renowned for its friendliness and approachability, the College offers a wide range of membership services to support you through every step in your career and professional development.
Candidates must provide evidence of:
- Having passed MFDS Part 1 or an equivalent exempting qualification, at the time of applying for MFDS Part 2.
- Completion of a minimum of 12 months full-time postgraduate experience in clinical dentistry. Normally, equivalent part-time experience will be acceptable if gained within a period of four years. It is important to note that experience must be postgraduate and, therefore, must have been gained after the date of conferment on the BDS certificate.
Candidates have four attempts in which to pass their MFDS Part 2.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to frequently-asked questions regarding this examination are given below. We hope this information will provide the details you require. The Regulations for the examination are available on our website. However, if you wish to make any further enquiries, please e-mail us at email@example.com