Exam Details - Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine Part 2
Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine Part 2
The Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine exam is designed to assess the knowledge, skills, competence, and professional attitudes required of a doctor who wishes to practice as a Sport and Exercise Medicine physician in the United Kingdom. There are two parts to this exam, and candidates must have passed Part 1 before applying for Part 2.
Successfully completing Part 1 and Part 2 of the exam provides formal accreditation in the field of Sport and Exercise Medicine. The Membership exam is essential for candidates wishing to:
- Obtain a Certificate of Completion of Training (CTC) in SEM
- Apply for Membership of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine UK (MFSEM). It is also part of the requirements for a Fellowship application
The Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine Part 2 is an Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE). The exam will normally consist of 12 stations each lasting 10 minutes. There may, in addition, be one or more preparatory stations.
The exam can assess any subject that is in the SEM Curriculum
To be eligible to sit this exam, all applicants must:
- Have passed the Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine Part 1 exam. The GMC has deemed that seven years is the time limit allowed to complete the examination from passing the Part 1 exam.
- Hold a medical qualification that is acceptable to the UK General Medical Council for Full or Provisional Registration or to the Medical Council in Ireland for Full or Temporary Registration.
Candidates should fulfil one of the following requirements:
- Be a current trainee in Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Have a minimum of two years’ clinical practice or postgraduate training after obtaining full Registration and must have competence in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and pre-hospital care.
It is also strongly advised that candidates have the following:
- An active role in Sport and Exercise Medicine;
- Experience in pitch side emergency care
- Exposure to the management of musculoskeletal conditions
- Experience of the use and benefits of exercise medicine
Candidates are allowed up to six attempts at the Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine Part 2 exam.
Before applying for this exam, please ensure you have read and understood the relevant documentation.
Our Exam Policies and Procedures page will provide you with more general information about sitting an exam at the College.
Information about the exam curriculum, reading lists, and details about revision courses can be found on the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine UK website.