Course Details - Basic Surgical Skills
- When is this course held?
22 Sep 2022 - 6 Dec 2022 (5 dates)
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- How much does this course cost?
From £527 - View more information below
- Can I book online?:
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 12 Hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Basic Surgical Skills
This two-day course, aimed at FY1 and above, is designed to instil core surgical skills at the very start of a surgeon's training by teaching the correct basic techniques. You will be taught instrument handling, knot tying, suturing techniques, fine tissue handling, wound management and diathermy.
These courses are delivered by experienced surgeons with a wide range of knowledge and experience in teaching. They are delivered both in the UK and internationally. (Attendance at this course, will give you the opportunity to apply for a one year FREE Affiliate Membership with the College)
FY1 (BSS is strongly recommended for all trainees who are about to embark on their first surgical position), FY2, ST1/CT1 and ST2/CT2 and SCPs.
FY1, FY2, CT1, CT2, ST1, ST2
Course participants have access to pre-course material online giving them the opportunity to view the basic concepts covered by the course. The course is held over two days with a series of demonstrations and extensive hands on sessions. Techniques are practiced using a combination of prepared animal tissue, synthetic models and simulation.
Junior trainees pursuing a career in surgery are expected to be able to perform a range of basic surgical skills prior to commencing specialty surgical training. These skills are not specifically covered during their foundation or core training placements. The Basic Surgical Skills courses have been running since 1994, with the involvement of all four UK and Ireland Colleges of Surgeons, and are designed to teach the essential basic technical skills required of a surgeon, instilling good practice at the early stages of training.
Participants are introduced to the principles underpinning the various techniques being taught and practice these techniques with individual tuition and under the expert supervision of consultant surgeons. Participants are assessed throughout the course and issued with a certificate upon successful completion.
On completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Explain the principles of good practice in theatre etiquette, knot tying, suturing, haemostasis, anastomosis, surgical diathermy and ergonomics for minimal access surgery.
- Describe correct handling and use of surgical instruments.
- Demonstrate an appropriate procedure for 'gowning' and 'gloving' in accordance with recommended standards of practice.
- Tie a variety of reliable knots, including surgical reef knots and the Aberdeen knot and tying at depth.
- Suture a variety of tissues, including skin, bowel, vascular tissue and tendons effectively.
- Perform abscess drainage and contaminated wound debridement in accordance with the basic principles of wound management.
- Demonstrate basic techniques for small bowel, vascular and tendon anastomoses.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic diathermic technique.
- Demonstrate effective management of ergonomic tissue commonly encountered with minimal access surgery.
Course Fee: £585.00
Course Fee for RCSEd Members/Affiliates: £527.00
Mr David Smith, Consultant General Surgeon, Dundee
Location Specific Details
Frequently Asked Questions