Faculty of Remote and Rural Healthcare
The Faculty of Remote and Rural Healthcare’s vision is that everyone has access to great healthcare, regardless of location and that human ingenuity is capable of achieving the vision of this universal right. The establishment of the Faculty of Remote and Rural Healthcare recognises that there is a global need for an institutional body, willing and able to set and maintain the highest standards of practitioner excellence.
The Faculty will establish, promote and train using new standards for rural and remote healthcare practitioners. In collaboration with its partners, which include industry and academia, its aim is to intentionally drive towards equitable, economically-viable access to integrated health care – and thereby improve significantly the health and medical outcomes of people living and working in remote and rural areas of the world.
Many people around the world live in isolated communities and work in industries such as oil and gas, mining and shipping where remoteness is a direct challenge to their health and wellbeing. At the same time, developing technologies for extending the reach of medicine and care to remote and rural areas are often under-exploited and poorly-deployed, given the geographic circumstances. Compared to their urban counterparts, remote and rural inhabitants often experience lower life expectancy and poorer health status.
The Faculty’s Work
- Building a diverse national and international network of remote and rural healthcare practitioners and contributors from multiple backgrounds, with broadened skills, in a wide range of medical and non-medical fields
- The creation and development of standards and competency frameworks that recognise and support the development of a new category of healthcare professional with broader discipline capacity, enhanced technological awareness and the ambition to achieve sustainable continuous improvement in this field
- Promoting and enhancing the use of new and emerging technologies to support an integrated and accessible approach to remote and rural healthcare
- Supporting the advancement of research and innovation in areas relevant to remote and rural healthcare; and
- Providing a global home that encourages best practice sharing and collaboration for a group of geographically-distributed health practitioners.
There is a unique opportunity for both individuals and organisations to affiliate with and contribute to the development of this new Faculty - and become part of a diverse, global multi-disciplinary community. As the Faculty develops, benefits to individuals will include access to a curriculum and assessment framework that caters for the specific needs of those working within remote and rural settings. Member organisations will benefit by showing a demonstrable commitment to remote and rural healthcare and will gain access to independent validation and accreditation as well as valuable opportunities for networking and collaboration.
For further information or to register your interest in joining the Faculty, either as an individual or as an organisation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.