The MFDS Exam
What is the MFDS?
- Long established, internationally recognised dental qualification
- It marks a level of achievement above and beyond the primary dental qualification
- For those aspiring to enter specialty training, it will also provide an advantageous contribution to the portfolio of evidence that would be required to indicate suitable eligibility
Supporting your dental career every step of the way
- Take advantage of our free one-year affiliation with the College, giving you access to to FDS RCSEd membership benefits, including career and educational support. To claim your free affiliation visit page 2 of our FDS brochure
- Benefit from a variety of locations throughout the UK and internationally, as well as flexibility on the dates you can take your MFDS exam
- Discounts for Dental Affiliates among other benefits
- We are committed to offering you financial support as well as research grants available every year
- Develop your skills with our dedicated dental events, courses, and webinars
- Choose from a wide range of dental exams to further your education
- You will receive FDS post-nominals, indicating your commitment to the profession and inclusion in our register of college members
- Dedicated dental faculties including the Faculty of Dental Surgery and Faculty of Dental Trainers
Why take the MFDS at the RCSEd?
- Becoming a member of the RCSEd means you will be joining the largest Faculty of Dental Surgery in the UK, as well as being part of a network of over 30,000 dental and surgical professionals worldwide
- Whether you are based in the UK or overseas, our dedicated regional dental ambassadors are here to support you no matter your location or career grade
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh offers the examination at a variety of locations throughout the UK and internationally. The examination is made up of two parts, Part 1 and Part 2.
Part 1 of the MFDS is a three-hour written examination comprising of 180 Single Best Answer (SBA) questions. This question paper is designed to test your knowledge and the deeper understanding and application of that knowledge in a clinical context.
Part 2 of the MFDS is a two-hour Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE), designed to assess your communication skills and your knowledge, understanding and management of a range of common conditions. The examination consists of 10 stations which are examined, plus a number of rest stations.
The MFDS Exam — Q&A with Dr Shan Gandhi
Click here to gain insights into the examination, its format and how best to apply and prepare for it from Dr Shan Gandhi, advisor to the MFDS and Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry at Birmingham Dental Hospital and School of Dentistry.
Online MFDS Revision
Access our online MFDS revision webinars here.
- MRCS PART B OSCE – Khartoum 27-28 November 2022
- Successful Surgical Care Practitioner Examination held with RCSEd
- Online Delivery of MFDS Part 1 Examination April 2021 Diet and Beyond
- An Important ICBSE Update on the MRCS Part B and DO-HNS Part 2 Examinations in the UK and Ireland
- Diploma in Implant Dentistry - all you need to know about pursuing a career in implantology
- Important update on the MRCS Part B and DO-HNS Part 2 examinations in the UK and Ireland in February 2021
- Impact of new COVID restrictions on College activities
- College Appointments
- RCSEd Statement on Dental Examinations
- Online Delivery of MFDS Part 1 Examination Autumn 2020