Exam Details - Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine Part 1
- Where and when is this exam being held? To be confirmed
- Contact our team to enquire about this exam
There are currently no live dates for this exam. Please check back later or contact a member of the Examinations team to enquire about booking.
- How much will this exam cost? From £610 - View more information below
- Exam group: Surgical Exam | See more Surgical Exams
Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine Part 1
The Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine exam is designed to assess the knowledge, skills, competence, and professional attitudes required of a doctor who wishes to practice as a Sport and Exercise Medicine physician in the United Kingdom. There are two parts to this exam, and candidates must pass Part 1 before applying for Part 2.
Successfully completing Part 1 and Part 2 of the exam provides formal accreditation in the field of Sport and Exercise Medicine. The Membership exam is essential for candidates wishing to:
- Obtain a Certificate of Completion of Training (CTC) in SEM
- Apply for Membership of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine UK (MFSEM). It is also part of the requirements for a Fellowship application
The Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine Part 1 is a four hour multiple-choice question (MCQ) exam. It consists of two papers which are taken on the same day. Each paper comprises of 120 questions and requires the single best answer (SBA) from four possible answers.
The marks for both papers are combined to give a total mark for Part 1.
Candidates must hold a medical qualification that is acceptable to the UK General Medical Council for Full or Provisional Registration or to the Medical Council in Ireland for Full or Temporary Registration.
Candidates should also fulfil one of the following requirements:
- Be a current trainee in Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Have a minimum of two years’ clinical practice or postgraduate training after obtaining full Registration and must have competence in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and pre-hospital care
It is strongly advised that candidates also have the following:
- An active role in Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Experience in pitch side emergency care
- Exposure to the management of musculoskeletal conditions
- Experience of the use and benefits of exercise medicine
Candidates have six attempts in which to pass their Membership in Sport and Exercise Medicine Part 1 exam.
Before applying for this exam, please ensure you have read and understood the relevant documentation.
Our Exam Policies and Procedures page will provide you with more general information about sitting an exam at the College.
Information about the exam curriculum, reading lists, and details about revision courses can be found on the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine UK website.