Course Details - Future Surgeons: Key Skills
- When is this course held?
21 Oct 2021 - 21 Nov 2021 (5 dates)
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- How much does this course cost?
From £99 - View more information below
- Can I book online?:
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 6 Hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Future Surgeons: Key Skills
This one-day course was designed to address the lack of structured basic surgical skills training courses for medical students intending to follow a career in surgery. It aims to introduce participants to these safe basic surgical techniques that are common to all surgical practices.
(Attendance at this course, will give you the opportunity to apply for a one-year FREE Affiliate Membership with RCSEd)
Medical Students and FY1 doctors.
This is a practical course with a high tutor-to-participant ratio. It is delivered using a series of tutor demonstrations and hands-on sessions where participants work on animal tissue. Tuition and supervision is provided throughout the course by expert surgeons.
This one-day course was designed to address a lack of structured basic surgical skills training courses for medical students intending to follow a career in surgery. It aims to introduce participants to safe basic surgical techniques that are common to all surgical practices.
On completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate safe practice when gowning and gloving
- Handle commonly used surgical instruments in a safe and effective manner
- Create secure 'reef' and 'surgeon's' knots
- Pick up and safely drive a needle through tissue with accurate bite placement
- Perform an interrupted suture to close a wound
- Demonstrate the steps for excising a skin lesion under local anaesthesia
- Excise a sebaceous cyst
- Drain a superficial abscess
- Perform the steps to debride a traumatic wound
- Perform basic techniques used for endoscopy
- Explain the principles of using safe diathermy
Costs for this course begin at £99 and vary depending on the location. Contact the Education Department for more details.
Mr Roop Tandon.