Coming of age during COVID - applying for fellowships and transitioning to consultant posts during the pandemic
2nd February 2021
The pandemic has impacted every walk of life, especially health care. Trainee progression towards and into consultant posts has been disrupted to an extent but consultant posts are still being advertised and appointed. This webinar in partnership with The Dukes' Club will discuss the relevance of the pandemic to applying for, interviewing for and settling into a consultant surgeon post. The faculty includes newly appointed surgeons and also those who have recently interviewed and appointed new consultants to their unit. Travel restrictions, pre-interview preparation, transferable skills and settling into a new job during the pandemic are discussed.
Understand relevance of the COVID-19 pandemic to applying, interviewing for and settling into a consultant surgeon post.
By the end of this webinar, attendees should be able to:
- Discuss pre-interview preparation, visits and teleconferencing
- Discuss what COVID-19 issues may be discussed at interview
Our live panellists include:
- Ms Clare McNaught, Consultant General and Colorectal Surgeon. Honorary Secretary RCSEd (Co-Chair)
- Mr Peter Vaughan-Shaw, ST8 Colorectal, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh (Co-Chair)
- Miss Veronique Spiteri, Consultant Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon, Birmingham Children’s Hospital & Russells Hall Hospital, Dudley
- Dr Satish Rao, Consultant Respiratory Paediatrician, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Birmingham Women's and Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Mr Fadlo Shaban, Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh
We will also have some pre-recorded contributions from:
- Kenneth Elder, Consultant Surgeon - Breast and Oncoplastics
- Lena Ngu, Post-CCT Colorectal Fellow - Vall d'Hebron Barcelona Hospital
Registered attendees who connect for the full duration of the live webinar and have completed the post-event survey will be entitled to receive a CPD certificate. CPD certificates will be sent to the email address used to register for the webinar. We aim to send CPD certificates within 21 days of broadcast.