Convener of Dental Education
This is a voluntary post and is unremunerated.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Fellow of the Faculty of Dental Surgery to take on the role of Convener of Dental Education. The post holder will play a critical role in the strategic development of the Faculty’s education portfolio. Applications are invited from current Fellows of the Faculty (in good standing) for a three-year appointment commencing October 2019. The duties of the Convener of Dental Education, include chairing the Faculty’s Advisory Board in Dental Education.
The post of Convener of Dental Education was established in 2015 within the Faculty of Dental Surgery and plays a critical role in the strategic development of the Faculty’s education portfolio.
Operationally, the educational activities of the Faculty are conducted through the College’s Professional Activities Directorate (and the Education Department within that), which is led by the Director of Professional Activities. The Convener of Dental Education provides clinical guidance and expertise to the Faculty and the Professional Activities Directorate to ensure that the Faculty remains at the forefront of dental education in terms of both standards and delivery.
About the Role
- Working with the Dental Executive, Council and College staff, develop the educational strategy of the Dental Faculty and coordinate the required input for its implementation;
- Chairing the Faculty’s Advisory Board in Dental Education, overseeing the development and implementation of its annual work plan;
- Work with the College’s Outreach Team and with our external partner (Dentsply Sirona) in organising the Annual RCSEd/Dentsply Clinical Skills Competition;
- Inform the development of a new Skills Competition for Dental Hygienists/Therapists;
- Identifying and introducing new educational opportunities and activities within the Faculty, taking full advantage of College capacity, to include the following areas;
- Continuing Professional Development;
- Skills Training and Simulation;
- The various Dental Specialties; and
- Supporting increased delivery, awareness and uptake of the Faculty’s educational portfolio across the UK regions, particularly through the College’s Birmingham regional centre;
- Advise the Faculty representatives on JCPTD, SFEE and JMDF and other intercollegiate education activities;
- Monitor intercollegiate educational developments and training within the UK and overseas, representing the Faculty’s interests in these areas;
- In conjunction with the Faculty’s Examinations Committee, lead the development of courses in support of exam preparation and training;
- Liaising with the College’s Membership and Communications Departments, maximise opportunities for effectively promoting the Faculty’s educational activities and providing membership benefits through enhanced educational activity;
- Chair, as required, Faculty Educational working groups, reporting to Dental Executive and Council directly on progress and effectiveness of the Faculty’s educational activities;
- Advance the Faculty’s work regionally and overseas, including its charitable activities, in conjunction with the College’s International Committee; and
- Network effectively with other educational providers, key stakeholders and regulators to enhance the Faculty’s overall reputation for dental education in the UK and overseas.
It is considered essential for the post holder to work directly with the Dean of the Dental Faculty, members of the Dental Executive, Chairs of the Advisory Boards and Specialty Advisory Boards, the Convener of Education of the College and other Office Bearers or members of staff within the College. Attendance is required at regular meetings throughout the year and therefore the post holder must be able to travel to Edinburgh fairly regularly.
It is estimated that the time commitment required to deliver this role effectively will be approx. 26 days per annum, the equivalent of just over four sessions per month.
Please note that we do not accept CV’s and agencies need not apply.
Please note that we do not accept CVs and agencies need not apply.
Initial queries should be directed to Mrs Linda Stuart, Dental Faculty Manager: email@example.com For informal discussions on the role, please contact Dr Sarah Duffy, Honorary Secretary of the Faculty of Dental Surgery: firstname.lastname@example.org
Initial queries should be directed to Mrs Linda Stuart, Dental Faculty Manager: email@example.com
For informal discussions on the role, please contact Dr Sarah Duffy, Honorary Secretary of the Faculty of Dental Surgery: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is expected that interviews will be conducted in mid-September.