Writing for Wellbeing: a creative writing workshop to celebrate who we are
5th March 2021, 14:00 to 15:00 GMT
As part of RCSEd Trainees’ Committee Wellbeing Week, we are delighted to welcome Dr Roshni Beeharry, Portfolio Medical Educator and Writing for Wellbeing & Personal Development Facilitator, to lead this Writing for Wellbeing workshop. This workshop, and its theme, was kindly commissioned by Dr Kellie Bateman, Lead Wellbeing Trainee Representative, RCSEd, with thanks.
In this time of great turbulence and uncertainty for the world as well as in the healthcare professions, Dr Beeharry will aim to introduce delegates to some enjoyable creative ways of:
- recognising, acknowledging and celebrating who they are as individuals, and as a community of practice of healthcare professionals
- introduce delegates to creative, expressive and reflective writing techniques that can be used for personal wellbeing e.g. journaling, poetry, fiction, memoir, as well as a less formal adjunct to their professional E-portfolio reflective records.
- appreciate that the ethos of this writing is process in this case not product - in stark contrast to academic writing and other forms of writing delegates may do at work/other writing. This can be liberating!
- embrace that this type of writing is non-prescriptive: “nothing you write is wrong; whatever you write is right.”
Dr Roshni Beeharry
Dr Beeharry is a London-based Portfolio Medical Educator and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, former NHS consultant in Neurological Rehabilitation Medicine, published poet, writer and Writing for Wellbeing & Personal Development Facilitator. Roshni trained as a writing facilitator on the MA Creative Writing & Personal Development, Sussex University (2003-5) whilst a full time SpR in Rehabilitation Medicine. Her interests include the Health Humanities in healthcare education, Arts in Health in patient and practitioner care, professional identity, reflective practice and interprofessional education.
Roshni currently facilitates Writing for Wellbeing workshops for the public, for those in healthcare fields including clinicians, academics and students, and for organisations, as part of her new small business Storied Selves.
- Introduction from Dr Roshni Beeharry
- Establishing boundaries: respect, confidentiality, anonymity
- Five minutes freewriting - uncensored writing, pen to page and no stopping(!) aims to clear the mind
- Writing activities: using images/mixed media and writing prompts such as poetry and quotes
Please note the workshop will be interactive and collaborative, you will have the opportunity to unmute your audio and turn on your video to interact with the facilitator and other attendees.
CPD will not be awarded for attendance at this event.
Visit our FAQ for further information relating to webinar CPD.