We use cookies to track usage and optimise user experience. By continuing to browse and use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

IMGSS - Work Permits & Visas

It is the responsibility of the overseas trainee and the relevant employing body to ensure that the appropriate work permit and/or visa is obtained. Under the Medical Training Initiative (MTI) Scheme, applications for a work permit must be sought in liaison with the employing authority and the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AoMRC). 

The AoMRC acts as the national sponsor of the MTI Scheme for the requirements of the UK Border Agency (UKBA).


With effect from May 2017, the College can no longer accept new applications for sponsorship under Tier 5 MTI, from doctors who reside in non-priority countries as defined by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AoMRC). The list of priority countries can be viewed on the AoMRC website.

This rule applies only to doctors coming to the UK under MTI Tier 5. This rule does not apply to doctors intending to work in the UK under an alternative visa route.

For comprehensive information on visa requirements for trainees under MTI visit the following websites:


UKBA Tier 5 Visa (Government Authorised Exchange)

back to top of page