Lay Reference Network Member
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd), the UK’s oldest medical Royal College, is seeking new members to join its voluntary Lay Reference Network. The Lay Reference Network (LRN) exists to provide the College with independent lay advice and perspective on our core activities, and on issues relating to surgery and healthcare.
The College are seeking individuals of all backgrounds who have an interest in healthcare, and who would like to support the College in its role at the forefront of quality and standards within surgery, dentistry and allied areas of healthcare. The LRN is not a patient group, and we are looking for people who will bring their enthusiasm, experience and expertise as we develop College business.
The LRN will exist as a virtual network, though members may be invited to attend meetings on occasion at the College’s headquarters in Edinburgh, its offices in Birmingham, or at locations across the UK. LRN activities will be ad hoc, dependant on the requirements of the College, and the availability of the LRN members themselves.
Core activities of the LRN will include:
- Acting as a critical friend to the College in policy decision making and planning processes
- Provide an ad hoc input to consultation responses and calls for evidence
- Informally share intelligence and insight, particularly around local issues
- Support the LAG to develop a proactive, thematic annual work programme
- Act as advocates for the College and its activities
- Support the LAG to represent the College on external forums
- Work with the College’s clinical and representational networks as necessary
Travel costs to the College are covered in line with the College’s expenses policy and, if necessary, overnight accommodation is provided.
To apply, please complete the application form, outlining in a personal statement why you would be suitable for the role.
Candidates successfully shortlisted must be available to attend an informal interview, either in person at the College or via video conferencing.