Lay Advisory Group Member
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd), the UK’s oldest medical Royal College, is seeking new members to join its voluntary Lay Advisory Group. The Lay Advisory Group (LAG) exists to provide the College with independent lay advice and perspective on our core activities, and on issues relating to surgery and healthcare.
The College are seeking individuals of all backgrounds who have an interest in healthcare, and who would like to support the College in its role at the forefront of quality and standards within surgery, dentistry and allied areas of healthcare. The LAG is not a patient group, and we are looking for people who will bring their enthusiasm, experience and expertise as we develop College business.
Being a member of the College’s dynamic Lay Advisory Group is a challenging, but incredibly rewarding voluntary role. The Group has real influence on the work of the College to ensure the views of the public meaningfully impact on healthcare outcomes. You will work collaboratively with other Lay members, Clinicians and RCSEd staff.
Core responsibilities as a LAG member:
- Acting as a critical friend to the College in policy decision making and planning processes Provide an ad hoc input to consultation responses and calls for evidence
- Informally share intelligence and insight
- Represent the College on external forums
- Develop a proactive, thematic annual work programme
- Act as advocates for the College and its activities
- Work with the College’s clinical and representational networks as necessary
- Provide the Lay voice and contribute their relevant professional expertise as formal members of College groups and committees
LAG members are expected to attend LAG meetings, which take place 3 times a year in Edinburgh, however, facilities are available to attend meetings virtually as necessary. Members of the Committee will be expected to become involved in the work of one of the committees relating to the following areas:
- Charitable College Activity
- College Finance
- Education, Exams & Standards
- External Medical Lay Committee
- Internal Systems
Travel costs to the College are covered in line with the College’s expenses policy and, if necessary, overnight accommodation is provided.
To apply, complete the below application form, outlining in a personal statement why you would be suitable for the role. Please send this to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Sunday 6th May.
Candidates successfully shortlisted must be available to attend an informal interview, either in person at the College or via video conferencing. If successfully appointed, new members must be available to attend in person at the College or via video conferencing the following meetings:
28 June 2018 – 6.00 pm
4 October 2018 – 6.00