Patient Safety Recommended Reading
- Flin, R., O'Conner, P., & Crichton M. (2008). Safety at the sharp end. Ashgate: Aldershot
Flin, R., Mitchell, L. (2009). Safer surgery: Analysing behaviour in the operating theatre. Ashgate: AldershotVincent, C. (2010) Patient Safety (2nd Edition). Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell
Papers of interest
Some key articles on patient safety published over the last few years as selected by the PSB are listed below. A commentary of each article is also provided from members of the PSB.
- Konieczny., K.M., et al, 2014. Experience of head and neck theatre staff and attitudes to human factors using an aviation-based analysis and classification system – a pilot survey. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 52 (2014), pp 38-42. doi: 10.1016/j.bjoms.2013.04.005
- McLaughlin, N., et al, 2014. Impact of the Time-Out process on safety attitude in a tertiary neurosurgical department. World Neurosurgery. 82 (5), pp 567-574 doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2013.07.074
- Arora, S., Sevdalis, N., Nestel, D., Woloshynowych, M., Darzi, A., & Kneebone, R. 2010. The impact of stress on surgical performance: a systematic review of the literature. Surgery, 147, (3) 318-30, 330 available from: PM:20004924.
- Gagnon, M.P., Lepage-Savary, D., Gagnon, J., St-Pierre, M., Simard, C., Rhainds, M., Lemieux, R., Gauvin, F.P., Desmartis, M., & Legare, F. 2009. Introducing patient perspective in health technology assessment at the local level. BMC.Health Serv.Res., 9, 54 available from: PM:19327160.
- Jin, CJ., Martimianakis, MA., Kitto, S., Moulton, CA. 2012 Pressures to "Measure Up" in Surgery. Managing Your Image and Managing Your Patient. Annals of Surgery, available from: 256, (6) 989-993
- Nagpal, K., Arora, S., Abboudi, M., Vats, A., Wong, H.W., Manchanda, C., Vincent, C., & Moorthy, K. 2010. Postoperative handover: problems, pitfalls, and prevention of error. Ann.Surg., 252, (1) 171-176 available from: PM:20505507
- Parker, S.E., Laviana, A.A., Wadhera, R.K., Wiegmann, D.A., & Sundt, T.M., III 2010. Development and evaluation of an observational tool for assessing surgical flow disruptions and their impact on surgical performance. World J.Surg., 34, (2) 353-361 available from: PM:20012288.
- Wiecha, J., Heyden, R., Sternthal, E., & Merialdi, M. 2010. Learning in a virtual world: experience with using second life for medical education. J.Med.Internet.Res., 12, (1) e1 available from: PM:20097652.
- Way T J, Long A, Weihing J, Ritchie R, Jones R, Bush M, Shinn JB. 2013 Effect of Noise on Auditory Processing in the Operating Room J Am Coll Surg 216:933-938.
- CW. Hicks, M. Rosen, DB. Hobson, C. Ko, EC. Wick. 2014 Improving safety and quality of care with enhanced teamwork through operating room briefings JAMA Surg. 2014;149(8):863-868. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2014.172.
- C. Rydenfält, G. Johansson, P. Odenrick, K. Åkerman & P.A. Larsson. 2013 Compliance with the WHO Surgical Safety Checklist: deviations and possible improvements Int J Qual Health Care (2013) 25 (2): 182-187. doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzt004.
Other Papers of Interest
- Weiser, T.G., Haynes, A.B., Dziekan, G., Berry, W.R., Lipsitz, S.R., & Gawande, A.A. 2010. Effect of a 19-item surgical safety checklist during urgent operations in a global patient population. Ann.Surg., 251, (5) 976-980 available from: PM:20395848.
- Black, S.A., Nestel, D.F., Kneebone, R.L., & Wolfe, J.H. 2010. Assessment of surgical competence at carotid endarterectomy under local anaesthesia in a simulated operating theatre. Br.J.Surg., 97, (4) 511-516 available from: PM:20186898