Scottish Academy/IHM Scotland National Stakeholder Meeting on Prevention through Learning
« View all News items
College Fellows and Members are encouraged to attend a major national multi-disciplinary stakeholder meeting on Prevention through Learning which we will be held, from 9am to 4.50pm, on 11 November 2016 at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
The purpose of this event will be to explore positive opportunities for enabling radical changes in healthcare culture and systems in order to deliver greater openness, innovation and a reduction in serious failings in care. This follows the publication of a major report last year by the Scottish Academy which found that a number of factors including poor engagement between managers and doctors had contributed to such incidents over many years.
Faced with an ageing population and pressures on public funding, NHS Scotland is under significant pressure and the challenge of delivering high quality care will only intensify. Against this background it is becoming imperative that all involved in the provision of care find more effective ways of working together.
- James Titcombe OBE, campaigner (whose campaigning led to the Morecambe Bay Inquiry), author of ‘Joshua’s Story’ and Patron, Action Against Medical Accidents (opening address)
- Dr Catherine Calderwood, Chief Medical Officer for Scotland
- Neil Findlay MSP, Chair, Health & Sport Committee, Scottish Parliament
- Prof Alan Paterson, Chair, Scottish Academy Working Group
- Prof Denise Coia, Chair, NHS Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- Theresa Fyffe, Director, RCN Scotland
- Prof June Andrews, former Director, Dementia Services Development Centre, University of Stirling and author of Trusted to Care (Wales)
- John Burns, Chair, NHS Scotland Chief Executives’ Group and Member of Council IHM Scotland
- Mr David Galloway, President, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
This event is free to attend and registration is online. The event will be aimed mainly at an invited audience including NHS Board Chairs, Chief Executives, Medical Directors, Nursing Directors, senior clinicians, policy makers and other stakeholder organisations involved in this area. Some open delegate places will also be available.
For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 0131-247-3693
Select a year and month from the headings below to view news items from that month.