Exam Details - Membership in Primary Dental Care
- Where and when is this exam being held? To be confirmed
- Contact our team to enquire about this exam
There are currently no live dates for this exam. Please check back later or contact a member of the Examinations team to enquire about booking.
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Phone: +44 (0)131 527 1600
Fax: +44 (0)131 557 6406
- How much will this exam cost? From £1600 - View more information below
- Exam group: Dental Exam | See more Dental Exams
Membership in Primary Dental Care
The Membership in Primary Dental Care exam is designed to assess the range of knowledge and understanding that underpins clinical patient management within the primary care setting. The expected standard is that of a practitioner who has undertaken extensive postgraduate training, at a level considerably beyond that of a graduating dentist.
- Opportunity to demonstrate higher order skills and application of knowledge in Primary Dental Care to Level 7, as defined by SEEC (2016) Credit Level Descriptors for Higher Education.
- Successful candidates will be granted Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the College (on payment of such election fee and annual subscription)
The Membership in Primary Dental Care exam consists of two parts:
- Part 1 - Written Paper
The purpose of the written paper is to test applied knowledge and clinical judgement across the range of General Dental Practice Disciplines outlined in the learning outcomes. The paper will be split into two halves, each consisting of multiple short answer (MSA) questions. Each half will be of two hours duration with a short break in between. The total time permitted for the component is four hours.
- Part 2 - Unseen Case Structured Oral Examination
This component consists of eight simulated clinical cases designed to assess a candidate’s skills in diagnosis, treatment planning and clinical judgement. The candidate will have 20 minutes to evaluate each simulated case prior to the case oral examination. Each case oral will be of 20 minutes duration.
To be eligible to enter for the examination all candidates must provide certified evidence of:
- Possession of a primary dental qualification that is acceptable to the Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
- Engagement in the clinical practice of dental surgery for not less than five years (or part-time equivalent) after obtaining a basic dental qualification.
- Completion of 250 hours of continuing professional development in the five years immediately prior to the date of the Examination. A minimum of 75 of these hours must be verifiable.
Before applying for this exam, please ensure you have read and understood the relevant documentation.
Our Exam Policies and Procedures page will provide you with more general information about sitting an exam at the College.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are currently no Frequently Asked Questions associated with this exam. If you would like more information please contact us.
Phone: +44 (0)131 527 1600
Fax: +44 (0)131 527 6406