Course Details - The Edinburgh MRCS OSCE Preparation Course – Online
- When is this course held?
To be confirmed
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- How much will this course cost?
From £250.00 - View more information below
- Can I book online?
See Location Specific Details
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
The Edinburgh MRCS OSCE Preparation Course – Online
This (NEW) two day virtual course is aimed at FY2 and above, and primarily those preparing for the Intercollegiate Part B MRCS Examination. It is designed to help improve candidates' performance in the MRCS Part B Examination via practice sessions with 'mock' MRCS OSCE stations and discussions with examiners on the pitfalls and problems commonly encountered with the examination process. The course structure includes short lectures, discussion groups and OSCE stations.
Candidates preparing for the Intercollegiate MRCS Part B (OSCE) Examination.
The Course will be delivered entirely online with a series of lectures and group / OSCE sessions. A course book shall be made available which shall run in conjunction with the online course. A maximum of 20 candidates shall be able to participate.
As a result of the course being online, there are certain points that candidates should be aware of:
- All candidates must have a MAC / PC with admin access to install Zoom
- All candidates must ensure that they have a strong and reliable internet connection to allow for video conversation.
- All candidates must have a webcam and a microphone. A microphone headset is highly recommended but not mandatory
- You will be given an opportunity to attend a short online test before the date of the course
- For the OSCE Stations - each candidate attempts shall be predetermined and will be expected to attempt several OSCE stations over the course of the two days.
Please note in order for international delegates to attend this course, you will be required to source the following materials:
- 1 x Skin pad
- 1 x Red marker pen to create a small lesion
- 1 x Needle holder
- 1 x Toothed forceps
- 1 x Scissors to cut suture (not dissecting scissors)
- 4 x 4/0 Prolene suture 2 x 4/0 Vicryl suture 1 x Number 12 scalpel 1 x Number 11 scalpel
A major component of the course is the series of simulated MRCS OSCE stations covering procedural skills; applied surgical science and critical care; anatomy and surgical pathology and communication skills.
Many of the OSCE stations shall use simulated patients for communication skills and examiners give structured individual feedback with candidates both observing and taking part in the mock sessions. This course also offers an ideal opportunity to apply knowledge gained on surgical anatomy.
This course is designed to help improve candidates’ performance in the MRCS Part B (OSCE) examination by providing the experience of a mock MRCS OSCE stations, highlighting the pitfalls and problems commonly encountered with the examination process and equipping the candidate with relevant and effective techniques to allow them to prepare for the examination with confidence.
On completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Describe the content areas that can be covered during the MRCS OSCE;
- Describe the structure of a typical MRCS OSCE;
- Describe the common areas of failure associated with the examination;
- Identify their strengths and weaknesses relating to skills and knowledge covered by the MRCS OSCE;
- Utilise effective techniques for an OSCE
Course Fee: £250.00
Mr Zahid Raza, Consultant Vascular Surgeon, Edinburgh and RCSEd Examiner