Course Details - Surgical Anatomy Study Day for Perioperative Practitioners (Principles of Surgical Anatomy)
- When is this course held?
To be confirmed
- Where is this course held?
View location information
- How much will this course cost?
From £108 - View more information below
- Can I book online?
Contact our Education Section to enquire about future course dates.
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 5 Hours
- Course/Event group: Faculties Course | See more Faculties Courses
Surgical Anatomy Study Day for Perioperative Practitioners
This Study Day, entitled 'Principles of Surgical Anatomy', is especially designed for perioperative practitioners. The day aims to provide an introduction to principles of surgical anatomy as well as an overview of the structure of the body as a whole, as a basis for further study.
The course consists of short, illustrated introductory talks using case studies, followed by interactive, practical demonstrations using plastic anatomical models, taught by experienced tutors. These sessions place a particular emphasis on demonstrating the form and relationships of structures of surgical significance in three-dimensions.
Perioperative Practitioners (Surgical First Assistants and Surgical Care Practitioners).
Relevant Grades: Nurses, Other Medical Specialties, Surgical First Assistant (SFA), Surgical Care Practitioner (SCP)
Particular stress will be laid upon encouraging participants to acquire an internally-visualised, 3D model of the body, rather than memorising descriptive detail. Participants will be encouraged to actively apply their anatomical knowledge to all aspects of surgical practice, including safeguarding patient safety.
Participants will also be advised to try to understand key structural concepts and to reflect on how best they can continue to develop their individual surgical anatomy knowledge. A short, illustrated textbook, appropriate as preparatory and background reading support, will be provided.
The day is designed to review the practical structure of the plan of the whole body by emphasising features of importance to surgical practice. The course also aims to stress the importance of key concepts and diagrams in helping to understand and visualise body structure.
Following attendance at this study day participants should be able to:
- Describe the close association between anatomical knowledge and effective safe surgery
- Describe how they have improved their capacity to visualise the general body plan
- Give examples of important principles of surgical anatomy (e.g. how the attachment of fascial layers may influence spread of infection)
- Describe ways in which they might improve their own surgical anatomy knowledge.
Course Fee: £120.00
Course Fee for FPC Members: £108.00