Course Details - Scottish Surgical Boot Camps
- When is this course held?
20 Aug 2022 - 29 Oct 2022 (3 dates)
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- How much does this course cost?
From £750 - View more information below
- Can I book online?:
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 21 Hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Scottish Surgical Boot Camps
These Surgical Boot Camps are a joint collaboration of NHS Highland, The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, and The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. They aim to define and accelerate the acquisition of key technical and non-technical skills at the start of a surgical career, hence they are the recommended introductory course for both of the Scottish Core Surgical Training Programmes
It is recommended by the Scottish Core Surgical Training Programmes as the introductory course for CT1 and places are funded by the NES.
Relevant Grades: CT1, ST1, FY2
- Non-technical skills for surgeons.
- Basic to intermediate surgical skills: eg bowel anastomosis and tendon repair.
- Communication Skills for Surgeons: interpersonal, spoken and written.
- How to lead a ward round.
- Written communication that works.
- Handling and writing the evidence.
- How to get the most from your trainer.
To accelerate the acquisition of key technical and non-technical skills at the start of a career in Surgery - skills formerly learned only by apprenticeship, but now better taught.
Participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a knowledge of non-technical skills for surgeons and apply these in their own practice.
- Perform a series of anastomoses and/or other intermediate surgical tasks in simulation.
- Describe how to get the most from a training post.
- More confidently and safely lead a ward round.
- Dictate or write operation notes and clinic letters.
- Better handle some difficult interactions with patients or colleagues.
- Instinctively apply evidence to day-to-day practice.
Course Fee: £750.00 (IST trainees need not pay anything other than returnable deposit)
Miss Morag Hogg, Consultant General Surgeon, Raigmore Hospital, Inverness