Course Details - Plastering Techniques for Fracture Treatment
- When is this course held?
20 Mar 2020 (1 date)
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- How much does this course cost?
From £113 - View more information below
- Can I book online?:
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 6 Hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Plastering Techniques for Fracture Treatment
This practical one-day course is aimed at trainees with an interest in Orthopaedics or Accident & Emergency Medicine. This course is specifically targeted to FY1, FY2, CT1, CT2 and SpR1 levels. Medical students and allied professionals welcome. Participants will be taught and advised by experienced Orthopaedic clinicians and Plaster Technicians.
Feedback will be provided for each participant through one to one teaching and tutoring. After the course you will have learned the fundamental principles of plaster application and know what pitfalls to avoid to prevent complications of non-operative fracture care with plaster immobilisation. You will be able to apply and mould a below-elbow plaster and apply and mould a plaster for ankle fractures.
This course is designed for trainees with an interest in Orthopaedics or Accident & Emergency Medicine. The course is specifically targeted to FY2, ST1/CT1,ST2/CT2. May also be useful for ST3 and above.
Relevant Grades: FY2, CT1, CT2, ST1, ST2
Primarily practical based with several short interspersed relevant tutorials.
This course aims to teach the fundamental principles of plaster application and the pitfalls to avoid in order to prevent complications of non-operative fracture care with plaster immobilisation. Participants will be taught and advised by experienced orthopaedic clinicians and plaster technicians. Feedback will be provided for each participant through one to one teaching and tutoring.
At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Describe the physical properties of the materials used for plastering.
- Describe the biomechanical use of plaster to provide rigid fracture immobilisation.
- Select appropriate plaster material for different circumstances.
- Describe potential complications of non-operative treatment.
- Apply and mould a below elbow plaster.
- Apply and mould a plaster for ankle fracture.
- Apply Plaster of Paris and fibreglass plaster material.
Course Fee: £125.00
Course Fee for RCSEd Affiliates: £113.00
Mr Robert Dunsmuir, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Leeds General Infirmary
Frequently Asked Questions