Course Details - Perioperative Key Skills Course
- When is this course held?
To be confirmed
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- How much will this course cost?
From £95.00 - View more information below
- Can I book online?
See Location Specific Details
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 6 Hours
- Course/Event group: Faculties Course | See more Faculties Courses
Perioperative Key Skills Course
Basic surgical skills are fundamental to the practice of safe surgery. The surgical assistant is an extremely important member of the operating team who needs to be familiar with the basic procedures in open, minimally invasive and robotic surgery as well as the dynamics of the theatre environment.
All advanced Perioperative Practitioners, including Surgical First Assistants (SFA), Surgical Care Practitioners (SCP) who are either in training or newly qualified as well as Advanced Care Practitioners (ACP) and Physicians Assistants (PA) working in surgery
Surgical First Assistant (SFA), Surgical Care Practitioner (SCP) , Advanced Care Practitioners, Advanced Clinical Practitioners (ACP), Physician Associates (PA)
This course is predominantly practical based with a high tutor to delegate ratio. It is delivered as a series of hands-on sessions where delegates work on animal tissue with tuition and supervision being provided by experts from both the surgical and nursing profession. A small number of classroom-based lectures are also included.
Aims & Objectives
This one-day course aims to address the specific requirements of a non-medical perioperative practitioner who is undertaking advanced roles under the direction of the operating surgeon. The areas covered are reproducible and applicable to all surgical specialities.
On completion of the course delegates will be able to:
- Demonstrate safe practice in preparing the patient for theatre including positioning and preparation irrespective of the procedure.
- Describe the variety of knot tying procedures, suturing techniques and Local Anaesthetic administration.
- Explain the principles and risks of using different forms of diathermy
- Demonstrate camera manipulation skills to assist in minimally invasive surgery.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of robotic assisted surgery.
Course Fee: £110.00
Course Fee for Affiliate Members of the Faculty of Perioperative Care: £95.00