Course Details - Interview Skills for Core Surgical Training
- When is this course held?
25 Oct 2021 (1 date)
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- How much does this course cost?
From £180 - View more information below
- Can I book online?:
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 5 Hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Interview Skills for Core Surgical Training
This one-day course is designed to prepare foundation trainees and medical students considering a career in surgery for core surgical training interviews. With fierce competition for core surgical training places, participants can benefit from extra insight into the interview process. They will also have the opportunity to practice their interview skills with feedback on performance from senior surgeons.
This one-day intense practical course is focused entirely on the practical aspects of interviews. The course is delivered in OSCE design and aimed at foundation trainees considering a career in surgery.
Relevant Grades: FY1, FY2
On the day there will be short PowerPoint presentations and the majority of the time will be devoted to OSCE station interview practice, detailed portfolio review, role-play, and video with one-to-one feedback. There will also be an opportunity to discuss questions about your specific surgical career pathway portfolio in detail.
This intensive, practical simulation course is designed to prepare foundation trainees, who are considering a career in surgery, for the core surgical training interviews.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe common themes for interview questions and strategies for approaching them;
- Describe the interview process, calendar and requirements for interview;
- Present themselves appropriately for interview;
- Demonstrate positive non-verbal communication in an interview situation;
- Describe the strengths and weaknesses in their interview performance;
- Describe how to address weaknesses in interview performance;
- Describe the common pitfalls in interview performance;
- Apply techniques for managing anxiety in the interview context;
- Visualise a typical core surgical training interview set-up.
Course Fee: £205.00
Course Fee for Affiliate Members: £180.00
Mr Sam Majumdar, Honorary Senior Lecturer & Consultant Surgeon, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School