Course Details - Foundation of Gastrointestinal Surgery
- When is this course held?
2 Nov 2019 (1 date)
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- How much does this course cost?
From £86 - View more information below
- Can I book online?:
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 12 Hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Foundation of Gastrointestinal Surgery
This course has been developed to address an area of knowledge and non-technical skills that is not currently covered in undergraduate teaching curriculums as well as in early years of training. This is a new two-day course with interactive discussion of common GI conditions in the context of applied basic sciences, basic explanation and videos of relevant surgical procedures, followed by MCQ style questions after each topic.
There will be also a small group practice on case scenarios to stimulate problem based learning and interactive discussion with peers followed by feedback from the tutor. Additionally, there will be interactive virtual clinical case which includes choosing the appropriate treatment option in a complex scenario.
Fourth and fifth year Medical Students and Foundation Doctors.
Interactive discussion on the management of common GI conditions in the context of applied basic sciences with interactive case scenarios.
To cover common gastrointestinal surgical procedures with emphasis on:
- Surgical anatomy
- Preoperative work up
- Key operative steps
- Early recognition of post-operative complications
- Apply the knowledge gained duing the course in clinical scenarios.
By the end of the course, participants should:
- Have better understanding of the key surgical procedures in gastrointestinal surgery;
- Have knowledge of surgical anatomy as related to covered procedures;
- Be able to understand the rational of using surgical intervention in treating patients and how choices are made between different surgical options;
- Be competent in pre-operative work up for surgical patients;
- Understand key facts to be covered in consent;
- Be able to recognise early post-operative complications;
- Practice the knowledge acquired during the course in clinical scenarios.
Course Fee: £95.00
RCSEd Affiliate Fee: £86.00
Mr Emad Aly, Consultant Colorectal and General Surgeon, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary