Course Details - Basic Skills in Paediatric Surgery
- When is this course held?
14 May 2021 (1 date)
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- How much does this course cost?
From £149 - View more information below
- Can I book online?:
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
Yes, 6 Hours
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Basic Skills in Paediatric Surgery
This course aims to help paediatric trainees consolidate the basic surgical skills of knot-tying by hand and instrument. Opportunity will be given to demonstrate proficiency in these skills on an individual basis using formal procedure-based assessments. Laparoscopic tissue handling and suturing skills will be practised using animal models.
Relevant Grades: CT1, CT2, ST3, ST4, ST5, ST6, SAS
Opportunity will be given to demonstrate proficiency in these skills on an individual basis using formal procedure-based assessments.
Participants will demonstrate technique of open line insertion and vascular control with regard to the neonate.
Dissection of the neck to locate and isolate the oesophagus will be performed and this will be supported by teaching of neck embryology and anatomy.
Chest wall anatomy teaching will aid the practical demonstration of a thoracotomy followed by an oesophageal anastomosis akin to the neonatal TOF operation. Lastly, participants will be able to demonstrate a simulated neonatal laparotomy and fashion an ileostomy and Stamm gastrostomy.
On completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate the principles of a small bowel anastomosis;
- Demonstrate technique of open-line insertion and vascular control with regard to the neonate;
- Dissect the neck to locate and isolate the oesophagus;
- Describe the embryology and anatomy of the neck and the anatomy of the chest wall;
- Perform a thoracotomy followed by an oesophageal anastomosis akin to the neonatal TOF operation;
- Demonstrate a simulated neonatal laparotomy;
- Fashion an ileostomy and Stamm gastrostomy.
Course Fee: £185.00
Member Fee: £169.00
Miss Amanda McCabe & Mr Fraser Munro