Course Details - Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) Reverification Programme
- When is this course held?
To be confirmed
- Where is this course held?
View locations and dates
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- Edinburgh - RCSEd
- How much will this course cost?
From £385 - View more information below
- Can I book online?
See Location Specific Details
- Is CPD awarded for this course?
- Course/Event group: Surgical Course | See more Surgical Courses
Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) Reverification Programme
This one-day revision course has been developed to allow you to reverify your ATLS Provider status. It is designed as a straightforward and cost-effective way to reverify and it is offered as an alternative to re-taking the full two-day ATLS® course. Your ATLS provider status lapses four years after taking the ATLS course, and has to be reverified within six months of its lapse date.
This course is open to ATLS providers who regularly manage severely injured patients and who have taken the ATLS course within the last four and a half years. Providers who do not regularly manage severely injured patients should reverify by attending the full two-day ATLS Provider course. The one-day course requires a high degree of familiarity with trauma resuscitation and uses the provider's own experiences to illustrate important principles of management.
ATLS is a highly interactive course, taught using a variety of practical techniques, including simulated patient scenarios, unfolding scenarios stations, group discussions, and tutorials.
Before the course, you will be required to complete the pre-course e-learning consisting of 1 module and quiz, and MCQs. It takes approximately 1-2 hrs to complete this work. Full completion of the e-learning is a mandatory requirement to attend the course. Delegates who have not completed the e-learning in full by 7am on the day before the course will not be allowed to participate in the course and will forfeit their course fee. You will have access to all 13 modules and quizzes, however, and we recommend that you invest in the time to review all 13.
Course participants will receive access to the pre-course e-learning resources on the RCS VLE via a notification with login details six weeks before the course at the latest.
It is also mandatory to read the ATLS student course manual prior to the face to face component of the course.
You will refresh your knowledge of all of the principles of ATLS, including:
- Initial trauma assessment and management
- Airway and ventilatory management including cricothyroidotomy
- Assessment and management of patients in haemorrhagic shock
- Assessment of chest injuries and chest decompression
- Head injury management
- Spinal restriction of motion and assessment of injuries
- Differences in trauma management at extremes of age
- Trauma team and the necessary behaviours of team leaders and team members
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate refreshed knowledge of all principles of ATLS and its safe, reliable method for immediate management of the injured trauma patient
- Continue to effectively use the standardised language of trauma care across the specialties that ATLS enables
RCSEd Members: £385.00
Course Fee: £415.00
Mr Mark Dunn, Critical Care Consultant