Course Details - Advanced Techniques in Endoscopic Nasal and Sinus Surgery
Advanced Techniques in Endoscopic Nasal and Sinus Surgery
This one-and-half day course, aimed at consultants and senior trainees in ENT, offers one-to-one training and guidance from an expert faculty. The complexity of this type of surgery is such that our faculty accounts for a considerable proportion of the entire UK experience base for these advanced techniques.
The aim is to educate participants in the anatomical basis of new endoscopic procedures, provide supervised surgical rehearsal, develop instrument handling skills thus fostering safe adoption of new technically exacting techniques for use in hazard rich area of anterior skull base surgery. The course uses short didactic lectures, case scenarios and a stepwise dissection DVD. The mainstay is closely supervised cadaveric dissection.
Consultants and senior trainees in ENT
Relevant Grades: ST4, ST5, ST6, ST7, ST8, SpR, SAS, Consultant
The course uses short didactic lectures, case scenarios and a stepwise dissection DVD. The mainstay is closely supervised cadaveric dissection.
Endoscopic Sinonasal Surgery is an expanding surgical discipline which embraces techniques used in both benign disease management and in oncological surgery. The rate of development of techniques is rapid and there is a need for realistic, safe, guided training via supervised cadaveric surgical simulation.
On completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Describe the anatomy of the paranasal sinuses and the anterior skull base regions.
- Demonstrate endoscopic instrument handling techniques.
- Perform powered instrumentation in the confines of the anterior skull base.
- Locate and ligate the sphenopalatine artery.
- Demonstrate techniques for dealing with intra-operative complications e.g. expanding orbital haematoma.
- Interpret CT scans of normal frontal sinus variants.
- Perform manipulations around the pituitary, optic nerve, and internal carotid artery regions.
Course Fee RCSEd Fellow/Member: £645.00
Course Fee: £675.00
Prof G W McGarry, Consultant ENT Surgeon, Glasgow Royal Infirmary